Command Syntax Needed for Upgrade from SQL Express to SQL Developer

• Good Afternoon,

I installed SQL 2k5 express on my laptop and now want to upgrade it to the developer edition. It appears that this scenario is feasible, can someone confirm?

If feasible, what command line syntax should I use?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

• I don't believe you can upgrade the instance. You can install Developer Edition as another instance or you can detach your databases, uninstall Express, and then install Developer.

All upgrades or installs use the SQL Server setup program that comes on the CD/DVD. Here's a KB article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx

• Hi,

Check also the following link

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

Regards,

Ahmed

• start /wait setup.exe ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER UPGRADE=SQL_Engine SKUUPGRADE=1 /qb

You can replace the /qb with /qn if you want a silent upgrade but then you will need to check the install logs for any errors. Of course it should go without saying that you need to backup all your databases first.

CodeMinkey

• Thanks all for your input. When I run the command from the prompt, I receive a message Please go to control panel to configure system components.

Unforunately, when I go to control panel, I'm not sure which components to activate. Has anyone encountered this ambiguous error message?

• Ah well perhaps I should have added that you should first open your dos command window -> run -> CMD then from there navigate to the Drive then folder in which sql server setup.exe exits then issue the command.

The problem may be due to the fact that Windows is executing the setup.exe that it finds in your system path (i.e. the one in your system32 folder).

Alternatively

This is sometimes caused by an registry entry in:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/App Paths/setup.exe

that ends up initiating setup.exe in Windows\System32. The setup.exe there

displays that message. Delete that registry entry. If only everyone stopped

calling their programs setup!

Also

This sometimes happens if there is a file named Autorun.inf in the drive's root directory.

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the first error message is displayed:

[autorun]

open=Setup.exe

C:\Windows\System32\Setup.exe is launched actually

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the second error message is displayed:

[autorun]

open=Filename.exe

(where the filename.exe file is missing)

CodeMinkey

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply