Combining many crossing intervals

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Combining many crossing intervals

• Itzik Ben-Gan used 5 million rows (your "Source4") in his performance testing.  What is the performance of your proposed Geometry method?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I have done some performance tests and the results are thus: proposed solution ~ 10 seconds (conversion and UnionAggregate), one of IBG solution 3 seconds.

• Thanks for the feedback.  How did you load the polygon information for the test.  I'm not so familiar with it and it seems like it only takes literal strings and no variables.  I have no problem building a 5 million row table with coordinates but how to translate that into 5 million polygons with resorting to a wad of dynamic SQL to generate 5 million separate polygon commands?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply