Combining 2 different datasets

• Hi combine 2 datasets that have different column names, different data and different number of columns into 1 output.

see example below.

Table 1
    Unit1Unit2Unit3Unit4
    Table 2
    NameLastnameResidentialSurburbCityZip/Code
    DaveJohnsonAddress1Address2Address3Postal code
    MuttonMurphyAddress1Address2Address3Postal code
    Desired output
    DaveJohnsonAddress1Address2Address3Postal code
    MuttonMurphyAddress1Address2Address3Postal code
  • I can't think why you'd want to do this, but assuming there's a good reason, there are two things you need to do.  First, make the number of columns in each table the same, which means adding NULL or blank columns to the SELECT list for the table with fewer columns. Second, make sure the data types are the same.  You haven't provided table DDL, but less assume that the data types of all columns in the first table is int, and for the second table it's varchar(20).  Then you need to convert all the columns in the first table to varchar(20).  Once you've done that, you can combine the two result sets with a UNION operator (or UNION ALL if you're sure there will be no duplication between the tables).

John

• Thanks John, I was hoping that there is an alternative approach but it looks like I will have to follow your process.

• Trybbe - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:30 AM

Thanks John, I was hoping that there is an alternative approach but it looks like I will have to follow your process.

OK, good luck.  Really this is the type of thing that should be done in your presentation layer, rather as you did in your Excel workbook.  You can also use Reporting Services.  There are all sorts of problems you can run into when converting data types, if you're not careful.

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply