columnstore indexes with bad value PLE

• Hello ,

I will proceed in the next few days to configure the columnstore indexes to replace the classic indexes

what worries me in the subject is that I have not enough memory on the server I have the wrong value of the PLE counter

and I heard additionally that columnstore indexes are rebuilt on every server restart

would it be a good idea to put it ?

thanks

• OK. There's a ton to unpack here. Let's try to go through it.

abdalah.mehdoini wrote:

Hello ,

I will proceed in the next few days to configure the columnstore indexes to replace the classic indexes

Why? Columnstore indexes are not some magical panacea that fixes all performance problems. If your system is primarily about analytical style queries, sure, columnstore. However, if it's a mix of analytical and good old fashioned OLTP, columnstore everywhere will HURT performance, not help.

what worries me in the subject is that I have not enough memory on the server I have the wrong value of the PLE counter

PLE is a silly bad performance metric. It just indicates how long pages remain in memory. It doesn't say how fast your queries are or anything else about your system. I would absolutely not decide what I was doing based on this one metric. Heck, I don't even refer to that metric any more. Instead, waits and queues and other metrics are better indicators for what's happening with the system.

and I heard additionally that columnstore indexes are rebuilt on every server restart

Nope. That's bad info. Columnstore is persistant storage, just like rowstore. Period.

would it be a good idea to put it ?

Based on what you've given us here, no idea. Should you be worried because of PLE? No. Should you be worried because columnstore indexes are rebuilt on server restarts? No. Should you implement columnstore? I simply don't have enough data to give you advice here.

thanks

Happy to help.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply