Column Level Collation Japanese_90_CI_AS_WS

• Having issues getting the column level collation to function.

The default collation of the database is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

Inserted the following characters below ??? into the table and render as ??? as expected.

I altered the column collation to Japanese_90_CI_AS_WS and yet to get it to render properly.

I am able to get the characters to render if the collation is set at the database level to Japanese_90_CI_AS_WS.

Is there any reason why the column level collation isn't overriding the database level collation?

Can anyone speak to this?

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP2) (KB4052908) - 13.0.5026.0 (X64) Mar 18 2018 09:11:49 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Evaluation Edition (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro 10.0 <X64> (Build 18363: )

• Do you happen to know what character in that collation is represented by the ASCII value of "?"  Is there such an ASCII value within that collation?   Not sure about this at all, but I was just thinking that maybe that character's ASCII value doesn't translate into that collation to any kind of printable character?

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• I'm just seeing that the characters I copied into this are showing as ??? as well after I submit this post.

I attached a screenshot of the Japanese characters

???
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Believe I have the solution the N'character' in the insert along with the collation for the column

•  

Use N 'value' and declare the column as nvarchar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply