collection_set_3_upload jobs keep failing

• I have a job called collection_set_3_upload, with 2 steps:

1. collection_set_3_upload_purge_logs which EXEC [dbo].[sp_syscollector_purge_collection_logs].

2. collection_set_3_upload_upload which dcexec -u -s 3 -i "LOCALSQL2008"

This job keeps failing at step 2 with the error: The step did not generate any output.

I know these type of jobs are data collector run-time components.

But I have no idea how to troubleshoot this??? The server event log gives the following 3 errors each time this jobs attempts execution (which is every 25 minutes):

1. Event ID 12291, Package "QueryActivityUpload" failed.

2. Event ID 12291. Package "Set_{2DC02BD6-E230-4C05-8516-4E8C0EF21F95}_Master_Package_Upload" failed.

3. Event ID 208, SQL Server Scheduled Job 'collection_set_3_upload' (0x0B243C269A538847858598C4AE40023F) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2008-09-12 10:43:14 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by User ABC. The last step to run was step 2 (collection_set_3_upload_upload). The job was requested to start at step 1 (collection_set_3_upload_purge_logs).

Some help please...

• Hi

Having the same issue this morning - job worked fine last week and the Upload jobs for the other two collection sets are running fine.

Just cannot find any other error messages

Thanks

Jim

• Found another error

Went to Data Collection - View Logs annd drilled down to the job that was failing

Found an error :

Date18/05/2009 11:03:37

LogData Collection (Query Statistics)

Log ID11114

SourceQueryActivityUpload

The binary field is too large. The adapter attempted to read a binary field that was 1168160827 bytes long, but expected a field no longer than 64 bytes at offset 4151. This usually occurs when the input file is not valid. The file contains a string length that is too large for the buffer column.

So reconfigured the Cache on the Data collection to write to a different folder and things have started to work again

I suppose I could have stopped the data collection then cleared the Cache in the Temp folder that was being used - but did not think of that till after reconfiguring the Data Collection

Seems there was some corrupt data in the upload files

Jim

• If you experience this issue and delete the cache files, will it pick up where it left off or are you going to have a gap in the collection?

• did anyone ever solve this?

having the same issue here

rich

• Has there been a real fix deployed for this problem yet?

• I have the exact same issue.

Please let me know if any of you find a solution to this issue.

• Hi,

I have the similar problem with the Data Collector on one of my SQL Server 2008 servers. It is the job "collection_set_2_collection" that keeps failing. Every time I start it manually, it starts sucessfully. And then, after 1-2 minutes , it failed and stop itself again. I can see four of the SSIS packages were up running and stopped after a while due to the job failure.

It is working fine on my other SQL servers with the same configuration, the same domain.

The problems, there is not enough error log information , no online information for this.

Anybody has any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

Carol

• What an annoying problem! The job is working again for me now, the issue is a bug...

Read this:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/james_howards_sql_blog/archive/2009/12/04/data-collection-set-3-upload-failing-its-a-bug.aspx

James Howard

• James and Jim,

The bug you reference (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/james_howards_sql_blog/archive/2009/12/04/data-collection-set-3-upload-failing-its-a-bug.aspx

) is not the same one as the one that Casper101 mentioned above.

I too have this error:

--------------------------------------

Log Name: Application

Source: SQLISPackage100

Date: 1/11/2010 5:00:17 AM

Event ID: 12291

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: DOMAIN\UserName

Computer: MYSERVERNAME.mydomain.com

Description:

Package "QueryActivityUpload" failed.

--------------------------------------

... and I don't think it's the same one as the arithmetic overflow that has been fixed in SQL 2008 SP1 Cumulative update #5.

I am still looking for a solsution to the Event ID 12291 "QueryActivityUpload" failed problem and if I find it will post it here.

Incidentally, mine ONLY happens between 3:00 AM and 8:00 AM and it can occur anywhere for 3 to 5 times (on a 30 min schedule).

Cheers.

G. Milner

G. Milner

• Hi,

The solution Jim mentioned a few posts before worked for me.

I disabled the data colledtion.

Then I Changed the cache directory and enabled the data collection again.

• Mr James Howard (12/4/2009)

What an annoying problem! The job is working again for me now, the issue is a bug...

Read this:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/james_howards_sql_blog/archive/2009/12/04/data-collection-set-3-upload-failing-its-a-bug.aspx

That link does not work for me.

By the way, we have 9 instances on our Development/Test cluster, and collection_set_3_upload seems to fail only on the more heavily used instances.

• My MDW logs were showing data conversion errors for QueryActivity. I also noticed a backlog of CACHE files in the MDW directory related to QueryActivity. I deleted all the QueryActivity CACHE files and this fixed the problem. Not sure if it's the long-term solution but everything works now.

• scott.shaw (1/4/2012)

My MDW logs were showing data conversion errors for QueryActivity. I also noticed a backlog of CACHE files in the MDW directory related to QueryActivity. I deleted all the QueryActivity CACHE files and this fixed the problem.

Where is the directory located?

• shew (5/18/2011)

Mr James Howard (12/4/2009)

What an annoying problem! The job is working again for me now, the issue is a bug...

Read this:

That link does not work for me.

By the way, we have 9 instances on our Development/Test cluster, and collection_set_3_upload seems to fail only on the more heavily used instances.

Yes sorry, I had a blog here but hadn't updated it in a while and I was advised it was removed due to licensing constraints.

James Howard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply