collation setting

• I have SQl server 2000 with SERVER collation setting

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

I have 2 instances on this server, say instance1 and instance2.

Instance1 (which is a default instance)

has database testdb1 with collation setting

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI

Instance2 has database testdb2 with collation setting

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI

Both have same database copy ( no collation setting on the table level), when I try to insert a row in a table say legal with FRENCH ASCENTS, the value in testdb1

gets converted to plain english alphabets in other words I loose the FRENCH ASCENTS, where as I get the correct value in testdb2 (with French ascents), why ???

How do I know the collations setting for instance, is there any query I can run to find out the collation setting for instance or something else is causing this ?

thanks

Sonali

• Have you looked at the collation setting of the data columns? In SQL EM, right click on the tablename, select Design Table. Select/highlight the column containing the data. At the bottom of the window, is a 'Columns' tab and the last entry is the collation value for the highlighted field. If it says, <database default>, then it's the same collation that the database was created with.

Since data columns can have different collations than the database default, just thought this would be a good place to look first, to be sure that both fields in the different databases really have the same collation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply