Collation question updrading databases from 2005 to 2012

• Gents,

One of our main applications will be upgraded from (very) old to new and the database which is running underneath is still SQL server 2005.

The company who is hired to to upgrade agreed to install SQL server 2012 (build 11.0.558) to host the database after upgrading the old one.

The old SQL server is a 2005 build 9.0.2047

Now I recieved an e-mail to re-install the 2012 DBserver because they encounter a collation problem on a first conversion-run.

The 2005 collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS gives a conflict with the 2012 collation Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Both collations are (were) standard during installation of SQL server.

Is there a best practice to solve this (rather than re-installing 2012 with the old SQL_Latin1 collation) ??

can anyone help me out on this?

Regrads,

GKramer

The Netherlands

• Quick question, wouldn't it be enough to change the collation for that single database?

😎

• SSCrazy,

There is one main database but I'm not sure (yet) of some support databases will come along.

As you are suggesting in your reply - is there a way to change the collation for just one database (when restored onto the 2012 server)?

And I wonder if there is a way to (backup -) restore as database changing the collation?

Guus

• gkramer 23701 (12/16/2014)

SSCrazy,

There is one main database but I'm not sure (yet) of some support databases will come along.

As you are suggesting in your reply - is there a way to change the collation for just one database (when restored onto the 2012 server)?

And I wonder if there is a way to (backup -) restore as database changing the collation?

Guus

Quick suggestion, script out the 2005 database and create it on the 2012 with the desired collation, then bulk copy the data. Another option/flavour is to restore the database on the 2012, create another database on the same server with the desired collation and copy the objects from one to the other.

Note that ALTER DATABASE COLLATE only changes the default collation for new objects, not existing ones.

😎

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply