Collation Conflict when clicking on Securables

• Hiya,

I have a DBA who has installed SQL Server 2005 with collation Latin_General_CI_AS and then imported a databse from SQL 2000 into this instance with a different collation (SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS from memory). If we open the Security - Logins - Properties in SSMS and then in turn left click on Server Roles - User Mapping and then Securables we recieve a message saying:

Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin_General_CI_AS" in the UNION operation (Error 468)

However If I open the Login Properties box and click on Securables straight away - then there is no problem.

My question is - has anyone else run across this?? Everything else seems fine and I must admit I am not too worried, it's just of this leads to any other errors in the database it will be of concern.

Any thoughts, anyone?

As always many thanks in advance.

Scott

• yes - I'm having the same problem

• Has there been an answer to this? I am having this same issue.

Adam Durr
    Remote DBA support
    www.bluegecko.net

• Hi, haven't heard of any resolution to this. However have not encountered any other problems because of it.

• I have the same problem and i want to know if someone discovery how to resolve this issue.

Tks...

• I solved this, sorry for not posting my solution sooner. SQL Server Management Studio 2005 has some bugs. One of the issues is viewing securables. To fix this install SQL Server Management Studio 2008. In 2008 this bug has been fixed.

Adam Durr
    Remote DBA support
    www.bluegecko.net

• Thanks Adam,

Will give it a go. Cheers.

Scott

• Thanks for your answer.

I will do this.

• No it hasn't. In a MOPS configuration, with SS2008R2 installed with default collation, many databases are configured with a different collation. The result is the same symptom described above - when attempting to view the Securables for a login, a collation conflict prevents them from being displayed.:crazy:

• I have the same issue with SP1 installed on SQL Server 2008 R2. It would be good to know how to resolve this...

• I found a solution then had to abandon it. The problem I was dealing with was that the Sharepoint and app DBs in Project Server and Team Foundation Server installations needed a different collation than the default collation, and that SSMS did not compensate for the collarion differences in some places (PS and TFS are both layered on top of Sharepoint). My solution was to set the instance's default collation to the same collation required by the Sharepoint and TFS DBs. I did this for database services and analysis services.

I was told to abandon my solution after a consultant - a co-author of MS books on TFS - warned us that DBAs are assumed by the MS app development teams to not do anything beyond installing the instance as specified in the documentation, and doing the backups. He said that data migration utilities, tools from the resource kit and tools/scripts from the codeplex site might not work under different instance settings. I pointed out that the TFS documentation allows for collation changes within specific criteria, but he said to ignore that, and insisted that, for SQL Server instances that host Microsoft apps, a change in the default collation was risky.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply