Collation conflict between SQL 2012 SP1 and SQL 2005 SP3 ?

  • I have the following error coming back at me

    Msg 468, Level 16, State 9, Line 243

    Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.

    Except that the server collations are all SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

    The database collations are SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

    The Table collations are SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

    and the specific column in question is using SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as its collation as well.

    This worked fine with SQL 2008 R2 SP1 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS and SQL 2005 SP3, is this something to do with SQL 2012 SP1?



    --Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

  • Unfortunately, we can't see what you see so it is hard to know what to tell you.

  • Mark, did you copy and paste the error message directly from SSMS? If yes, then they are indeed different. Just look closely, the one is Latin1_General_CI_AS, and the other one is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS (note the CP1 part).

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

  • Jan Van der Eecken (2/15/2013)


    Mark, did you copy and paste the error message directly from SSMS? If yes, then they are indeed different. Just look closely, the one is Latin1_General_CI_AS, and the other one is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS (note the CP1 part).

    Even more of a difference than that, one is a windows collation and the other a SQL collation.

  • Lynn Pettis (2/15/2013)


    Jan Van der Eecken (2/15/2013)


    Mark, did you copy and paste the error message directly from SSMS? If yes, then they are indeed different. Just look closely, the one is Latin1_General_CI_AS, and the other one is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS (note the CP1 part).

    Even more of a difference than that, one is a windows collation and the other a SQL collation.

    :w00t:

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

  • I'm aware of the differences between what is shown. However looking at the actual collations at the server, database, table and column levels they were always SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

    In this case it turns out to somehow have been a busted linked server of all oddities.

    Rebuilding the linked server that the queries were passing to resolved the collation conflict that was not there.

    I had tried building it using SQL Native Client 10 and 11. 10 had worked when it was a 2008R2 server, and the client was still present on the server, 11 was working when I made actual connections to the SQL 2005 SP3 server.

    When I changed the client to use MSOLEDB instead of the Native Client the collation error problems went away.



    --Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

  • In other words, you are sorted?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

  • Yes, I wanted to post above what the fix was in case anybody else runs into this.

    If you're going from 2012 SP1 to 2005 SP3 (probably from 2012 of any flavor to 2005 of any flavor) and get a collation conflict that you are sure isn't there (because you have inspected everything from point a to point z).

    Try deleting the linked server and recreating it. Try each of the most common connection libraries as well.



    --Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply