Coding With Music

• If I'm solving a difficult problem, then I need complete silence. If I'm working on something that doesn't require too much of my brain, then I like to have pop, rock or jazz playing quietly, but only sometimes. The problem is that I get drawn to the music too easily.

A few years ago, I had a temporary assignment in a building where they piped in white noise. Most of the people there didn't even notice it, but it almost drove me crazy.

• I usually listen to classical, since it serves as great background music. I prefer it on NPR or Pandora where commercials are at a minimum. Sometimes it's rock when I want to block out my noisy cube-neighbor. Being in a cube with 5-foot walls and sitting at a major intersection (lots of foot traffic), more often than not my headphones are on.

• I used to believe that it would be good to listen to music in order to block out distractions. Other coworkers do this, and it seemed like a good idea to try it out. After using my headphones on a daily basis for a while, I found that I’m not motivated to do this to avoid distraction. That’s one side benefit, but I really listen to music to get into the rhythm of what I'm doing. I get lost in the music and let my procedural memory and thinking take over. If I need to think verbally, for documentation or writing email, I often stop the music.

• I stream Pandora on my iPhone and noticed that when a new song comes on I can get distracted, but since I listen to the same station it's the same stuff played over and over it just becomes background noise.

I've tried classical music and if it's not the right kind it makes me sleepy. I've tried Jazz too, and if it's not a little funky it can make me sleepy too. The only instrumental that I've found that I like is House/Techno.

I usually stick to alternative rock. If I can get time to organize my music at home and put a playlist together I'd have an eclectic mix to stay invigorated and upbeat, but stuff I'm familiar enough with that I'm not processing new information.

Cheers,

Gabe

• Very interesting article!

my office is private and the noise in the company is very minimal but I still listen to music not because of the noise, because it triggers something in my brain while I'm coding!!!

I have my bose headphone always plugged to my computer. Usually, while I'm coding I listen to Progressive Metal mainly Dream Theater music (Dream Theater genre is a combination of Pink Floyd, Rush, Symphonic and Heavy Metal) their music is epic.

However when I'm coding something related to finance/accounting and requires math, I listen to classical music Johann Bach, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Antonio Vivaldi etc...

• while I like music, when I'm seriously thinking, I require quiet. Absolute quiet.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I use music to complement the state of mind I'm in. If I'm doing something I already know very well, which is 90% of the time, I prefer heavy metal or hard rock like Disturbed or Metallica. If I'm really stressed out, I play Enya and Deep Forest. If I'm learning something or I'm thinking through a quadruple nested query or complicated loops, the music stops and I need absolute quiet to concentrate. I would say music is a distraction, but it does help when only half a brain is working.

• Some in my office have the headphones regularly. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it, no matter what was playing. But I'd do it as an exercise of "stepping out of my comfort zone" to try a new thing. Also, I tend to be a bit uptight, you're not supposed to listen to music at work, or be caught enjoying your job.

• Strange as it may sound, I listen to movies and movie scores while I work. Not anything with too much action, though. One of my favorites films to listen to is Murder on the Orient Express, and my favorite soundtrack is The Empire Strikes Back. I'll listen to old school jazz too, like Charles Mingus and Oscar Peterson.

It helps maintain a certain noise level because in the office it blocks out the background and at home it keeps the house from being too quiet. (When I work at home it's often late at night.)

• I worked from home for seven years with no one in the house and was perfect for me to be most productive. I don't like to work from home because I like to be around people and have the interaction with experienced employees, but it is very distracting when you really want to get down and dirty into your thoughts. I think it's important to have an office or have the option to work from home in lockdown. I now work in a cube environment and found that both white noise and music does help, but still introduces some level of distraction.

• Recently a new group moved across the aisle from us, and they're on calls all day (one with an unbelievably annoying voice), so I started bringing my MP3 player to work. When I'm writing code I usually listen to techno/trance. I used to listen to The Hold Steady at work, but found myself concentrating on the lyrics too much.

• I find that most of more productive, innovative, coding sessions are when I have my headphones on, and have a steady stream of music playing. Generally, in the genre of house, jazz, or classical. When the music is playing, I find that I am more focused on the tasks at hand, and common distractions in the office place, seem to have disappeared.

There are have been several studies that show that listening to certain genres of music actually boosts your brain, and help you concentrate. They mostly suggest classical music as the top brain booster.

But on the flip side, sitting in my own office with no one around, I tend to drift into la la land, and cannot focus at all. I start to become sleepy, and don't really get much done.

So, for me the cubical environment is not such a bad thing for me for the most part. There have been exceptions to this.

I once worked in open office environment, where as programmer and developer, was placed next to teams of tech support agents... As much as I love Star Wars as any other geek. The noise of an agent practicing wookie as his official second language, was really not aiding the productivity level.

• At my work the cubicals are so small that I can see over them while sitting down. There are 5 people working within 5 feet of my desk, so music is a must to drown out all the conversations going on. There are times that I put the headphones on even if I'm not lisening to anything.

• I like to listen to music when I'm doing heads down coding. It helps me concentrate whether I'm in the office, which is an open style plan, or at home working solo. If I have a problem to solve or something difficult to work through, then I turn the music off.

My wife also works from home, but she needs absolute silence, so my office is on the other side of the house.

• If I am just going through the paces then I like upbeat classic rock, alternative or heavy metal. If I'm stuck on something and can't get my head wrapped around it then I tend towards instrumental numbers or silence. I know some people who work at home with the TV on in the background and I definitely cannot do that. If I hear the TV, I want to stop working and run off to watch it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply