Code windows no longer side-scroll?

• I used to get side-to-side scoll bars on my Code Block windows whenever they exceeded the screen width. Then several months ago IE stopped doing it, which was annoying, but I was using IE less & less, so it didn't matter too much.

But sometime in the last two months, Firefox has also lost this feature, and now its really annoying because it means that the forum width gets expanded, so that all of the posted text also has to be scrolled back and forth in the browser just to see what people are writing.

Opera still works right, but it has too many bugs for me to use regularly.

Is this being caused by changes in the Forums or changes in the Browser? And either way, what can I do about it? At this point I am ready to download and fire up Chrome, but I really do not want 4 browsers on my desktop.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hmm - I just saw one that Jeff posted that scrolls, but a new one I just tried creating in here doesn't do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Heh. Steve probably lets Jeff have "special" code windows. :w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Some changes deployed on Monday. I'll have someone look into this.

Moving to the upgrades forum.

• OK, I've got part of it figured out anyway>

Here's one of Jeff's recent post's that showed up with scroll bars:

DROP TABLE JBMTest

GO

--===== Create and populate a 1,000,000 row test table.

-- Column "RowNum" has a range of 1 to 1,000,000 unique numbers

-- Column "SomeInt" has a range of 1 to 50,000 non-unique numbers

-- Column "SomeLetters2" has a range of "AA" to "ZZ" non-unique 2 character strings

-- Column "SomeMoney has a range of 0.0000 to 99.9999 non-unique numbers

-- Column "SomeDate" has a range of >=01/01/2000 and <01/01/2010 non-unique date/times

-- Column "SomeCSV" contains 'Part01,Part02,Part03,Part04,Part05,Part06,Part07,Part08,Part09,Part10'

-- for all rows.

-- Column "SomeHex12" contains 12 random hex characters (ie, 0-9,A-F)

-- Jeff Moden

SELECT TOP 1000000

RowNum = IDENTITY(INT,1,1),

SomeInt = ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%50000+1,

SomeLetters2 = CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)

+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65),

SomeCSV = CAST('Part01,Part02,Part03,Part04,Part05,Part06,Part07,Part08,Part09,Part10' AS VARCHAR(80)), --askjLKJFA;SLKJFA;LSKJF;SALKJF;LSAJF

SomeMoney = CAST(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%10000 /100.0 AS MONEY),

SomeDate = CAST(RAND(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))*3653.0+36524.0 AS DATETIME),

SomeHex12 = RIGHT(NEWID(),12)

INTO dbo.JBMTest

FROM Master.dbo.SysColumns t1

CROSS JOIN Master.dbo.SysColumns t2

--===== A table is not properly formed unless a Primary Key has been assigned

ALTER TABLE dbo.JBMTest

ADD PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (RowNum)

but notice that it is long enough that it also has vertical scroll bars. If we shorten so that it no longer gets the veritcal ones:

-- Column "SomeLetters2" has a range of "AA" to "ZZ" non-unique 2 character strings

-- Column "SomeMoney has a range of 0.0000 to 99.9999 non-unique numbers

-- Column "SomeDate" has a range of >=01/01/2000 and <01/01/2010 non-unique date/times

-- Column "SomeCSV" contains 'Part01,Part02,Part03,Part04,Part05,Part06,Part07,Part08,Part09,Part10'

-- for all rows.

-- Column "SomeHex12" contains 12 random hex characters (ie, 0-9,A-F)

-- Jeff Moden

SomeCSV = CAST('Part01,Part02,Part03,Part04,Part05,Part06,Part07,Part08,Part09,Part10' AS VARCHAR(80)), --askjLKJFA;SLKJFA;LSKJF;SALKJF;LSAJF

SomeMoney = CAST(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%10000 /100.0 AS MONEY),

SomeDate = CAST(RAND(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))*3653.0+36524.0 AS DATETIME),

SomeHex12 = RIGHT(NEWID(),12)

--===== A table is not properly formed unless a Primary Key has been assigned

then the horizontal ones disappear also.

Note also that even in the first case, the horizontal width is still not quite right.

[/font]

• Well, actually I would need another thread to demonstrate the first one completely, as the second one messes the width up for the whole thread.

[/font]

• Here's the link to Jeff's original post: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic586399-361-1.aspx#bm586699.

You can see that even though it has the horizontal scroll bar, the width is still messed up.

[/font]

• It seems to work in Firefox 2 and Chrome. Likely we need an IE workaround.

• I have Chrome and Firefox 3(dang forced upgrade!) and it does not work for me in either. Opera still works, I think, but it has a bunch of other problems.

[/font]

• OK, I just retested this thread with all of my browsers, just to be sure and here is the tally:

Browser version Jeff1(Long) Jeff2(short)

------- ------- ----------- ------------

Chrome 0.2 Yes No

Firefox 3 Yes No

IE 7 No No

Opera 9.26 Yes Yes

Specifically "Yes" and "No" refers to whether the horizontal scroll bars appear on the two examples of Jeff's that I posted above.

The Opera version is a little old, which leads me to wonder if it is all of the newer version that are progressively failing. I use Firefox mostly, and it is possible that I lost my horizontal scroll bars when it got upgraded from v2 to v3 behind my back.

[/font]

• It's been two months and no update on this, has there been any progress?

Here is what I have found out so far:

IE7, FF3 and Chrome all display this behavior: Specifically that the PRE tag's window is not being constrained to the previous width. The impression that I get is that this is actually closer to what the standards require (and thus why Opera and older versions of IE & firefox do not do this).

The only solution suggested so far is make sure that the PRE tag's CSS class includes "overflow-x: auto" and then embed the PRE tag in its own small table like this:

<table width="100%"><tr><td style="text-layout:fixed; width:100%;">

</td></tr></table>

As things now, this is really killing me. It makes so many of the threads almost impossible to read...

[/font]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply