Code in articles

• Maybe it is just me...

But when reading this mornings article (this is just an example) http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQL+Server+2008/62204/

the code samples are in these tiny narrow boxes. Is there a way to fix that? Makes it hard to read the article in a meaningfull way when you have to copy the code out somewhere else to be able to read it. Why would it not be as wide as what the rest of the text of the article is?

Thanks

• It should be as wide as the article text is (it is here in IE 7 and Firefox 2), but it's not as wide as the page. There's a right column for "related stuff" that I would like removed, but so far have been overruled on.

What it doesn't do is resize if you change the width of your browser, you need to reload for that to work.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/25/2008)

What it doesn't do is resize if you change the width of your browser, you need to reload for that to work.

Cothcha, that is what my problem is since I normaly run IE in a small window. Curse these 21 inch monitors 😉

• Steve - I don't know how much control you have over the page formatting, but there's a somewhat advanced version of CSS formatting called "Jello Mold" that allows for dynamic resizing of the various elements on the page, relative to your resolution, and the size of the window. Even if you can't get rid of certain elements, it might help with the dynamic resizing of the window.

And yes - it does work quite well with ASP.NET, and IIS/IE don't seem to mangle it either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I have some control. We have a CSS and a template for some things that can be changed, however I'm semi-forbidden from changing things. We have a testing team that needs to look things over before we deploy, so really they have to approve it.

At this point I don't really want to learn a bunch of CSS since I'm not that good a laying out things anyway, but I'll see if I can hint around for our new developer when he appears!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply