Clustering - will this be possible

• Hi

Here I am planning to upgrade my stand alone server(Server A) to Active-Passive cluster. I have already got four SQL R2 instances on my stand alone server and now my requirement is not to take offline the existing 4 instances for more than 2 hrs while make it cluster.

SQL : SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

My approach is :

1. First making a windows cluster by adding a windows node(Server B) with existing server (Server A). (Still the SQL Server instances are not cluster aware and running on server A) Now the cluster is windows cluster NOT Sql server cluster ware.

2. Install four SQL Server single node cluster instances on Server B (not adding the other node)

3. Detach databases from SQL Instances on server A and attach them to Single node cluster instance on Server B and Server B will be active node (now my services will point to the cluster)

4. Later will add SQL cluster nodes on Server A using ADD node installation option.

Please let me know will this approach will work?

Thanks for your help.

• Leave server A as a stand alone machine. Form a cluster on Server B and install your clustered instances. Move databases, logins, jobs, etc to the new instances and re configure your application connection strings

Once all instances have been migrated, destroy server A and re deploy a fresh OS and introduce into the cluster alongside server B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry,

I didn't understand your point here. How can I make a cluster with Server B only( I don't think you can create a windows cluster with one server )

We can install one node SQL Cluster but still you need to have two node windows cluster to install a single node sql cluster, correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks .........

• you can create a windows cluster with just one node, then add nodes later on. Important to fresh build server A after the migrations and introduce it into the new windows cluster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ohh sorry

I forgot to mention Server A points to MSA so I have one storage and Server B is just a physical server and doesn't have any separate storage.

Why I am trying to follow above mentioned approach was just to make switch between servers and keep the data at same storage location, also the databases are massive 🙁 Client cant afford that much downtime 🙁

• you will need shared storage that both nodes can access

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply