clustering setup

• We're installing sql on a 2 node cluster. 

We are now trying to instal sql 2000 and when we enter the computer name "of a new or existing Virtual sql server to manage" we get "the name you entered already exists on the network".  Our Admins had created a virtual server with the name we want to use.  Does the sql install create this server?

• this name gets published through the cluster service. So the name will get published at sql-instance-install time.

BOL has more regarding "install a cluster"

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Sam, ithink  you are entering the Machine name. the name to be entered should be the virtual server name for the windows cluster that you have created already.

• The names should be unique and informative. The computer name for the virtual server name is not correct choice 

• As I recall, the installer wants to create the name in either WINS or DNS or both.  If someone has already created the name records, the installer will complain.

I remember, a very long time ago, having to go in and remove the names from DNS, and allow the installer to do the DNS updates.

I'm not 100% sure I remember this correctly, but I think this may be your problem.

jg

• Yes, the installer did want to create the entry in the dns.  Got it up and running.  Thanks for the help.

• Thanks a lot. This worked for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply