Clustering

• Hi

I have a cluster at Site A and another cluster at site B. If we configure SSRS to work on sites A and B, how can we implement DR for SSRS for both of these sites i.e. if entire Site A blows out how can we still access the reports related to site A and vice versa?

Could anyone help me with this?

Thank You

Yours,

SQLBuddy.

• Let me see if I got this. Site A has SQL and also SSRS, Site B has SQL and also SSRS.

Are you talking about losing site A? IF so then you could likely either replicate data from A to B using either replication or log-shipping. Then the SSRS would use local copies..

I'm not sure exactly what your failure mode is?

CEWII

• You can mirror the databases between sites.

• Hi Elliott,

Thank you very much for your reply. But I am still struggling for a solution.

Thank You,

Yours

SQLBuddy

• Hi Steve,

Suppose we have SSRS Instance1 at site A and it is pointing to SSRS db’s sitting on a clustered SQL instance A at site A. So we have URL1 to access these reports.

Suppose we mirror these 2 SSRS databases onto a clustered SQL Server Instance B sitting on site B and make another SSRS Instance 2 at siteB to point to these mirrored Db’s. This SSRS instance will have another URL2 to access these reports.

Suppose some of the reports at Site A are accessing DB’s that sit on the cluster at site A.

Now if the entire Site A goes down, How can we still access the same reports that correspond to site A.

We cannot use URL1 bcs the Site A is down, So we have to use URL2.

Even though we have the reports available at SiteB, some of them will still be pointing to the Db’s that sit on the cluster at site A and any attempt to access them will through errors bcs they cannot be accessed.

So to avoid this problem, should we find all the databases that belong to site A which are being accessed by the reports and then mirror them from site A to Site B and also create other dependencies like Logins etc… on the cluster at site B

Should we change the connections in each one of the reports so that they point to the mirrored databases on the cluster at site B?

Am I correct?

Could you help me with this?

Thank You,

Yours

SQLBuddy

• Hi

I think it depends on what type of DR you are using:

1. If u r using Clustering, the DR should take over automatically when your SQL instance fail-over, you don't need to do any changes on the SSRS site, because you are still connection to the same SQL Server instance name (Virtual Instace name)

2. If u r using Database Mirroring, you may need to change the data source connection on the Reporting Server site manually or you can try to change the connection string in your reports to have the Failover option, however I have never tried this myself. I know this is working with application, not so sure with SSRS.

Good Luck

IT

• Hi Irwan,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I really appreciate your help.

Yours

SQLBuddy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply