clustered vs Non clustered index scan

• Hey Guys

I have an issue where an application is running a few different select queries with 'like' operators on a large table in the datebase. These queries in turn are blocking any update statements that are run against the particular table. My question is: Will the queries perform better if they complete a non clustered index scan as opposed to a clusetered index scan?

• matthew.peters (12/7/2011)

Hey Guys

I have an issue where an application is running a few different select queries with 'like' operators on a large table in the datebase. These queries in turn are blocking any update statements that are run against the particular table.

Yeah, probably doing a table lock due to needing to scan.

My question is: Will the queries perform better if they complete a non clustered index scan as opposed to a clusetered index scan?

Welll... ummmm... ish? Most likely: No.

If the update has to change any information in the non-clustered indexes, they'll be just as blocked. This includes clustered index columns.

Snapshot isolation to the rescue here. It's your best bet, just watch the TempDB pain you might incur. After that, it comes down to optimization to try to reduce the volume of pain you receive from those search queries. We could probably help you get some optimization out of them if we could see the underlying schema and .sqlplans, but that's up to you.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Can you post the most standard searches along with it's actual execution plan?

Maybe we can turn it into a seek which would be loads better.

• Here is the query and I have attached the plan. I assumed a like operator required a index scan? Anyway any help would be appreciated, I have created a non clustered index which the query uses as the primary source for the data

SELECT "PC0".pxObjClass AS "pxObjClass", "PC0".pzPVStream AS "PC0pzPVStream", "PC0".pzInsKey as "pxInsHandle"

FROM pca_work "PC0"

WHERE ( "PC0".UWType LIKE '%CoverNote%' )

AND ( "PC0".pxObjClass LIKE '%Wesfarmers-Ins-Work-Policy-Com-Business-Broker-NB%' )

AND ( "PC0".pxObjClass NOT LIKE '%ren%' )

AND "PC0".IsIntUWPolicy IS NULL

ORDER BY "PC0".pxCreateDateTime

• LIKE 'string%' (no % at the begining) can use a seek. Those will indeed scan.

That's an estimated plan, I need the actual one.

What you can do with search queries is optimize the "standard" filters and then hope the like '%whatever%' won't kill it. Since you have all and and no ors it could have been possible for you here.

Here is the query and I have attached the plan. I assumed a like operator required a index scan? Anyway any help would be appreciated, I have created a non clustered index which the query uses as the primary source for the data

SELECT "PC0".pxObjClass AS "pxObjClass", "PC0".pzPVStream AS "PC0pzPVStream", "PC0".pzInsKey as "pxInsHandle"

FROM pca_work "PC0"

AND ( "PC0".pxObjClass LIKE '%Wesfarmers-Ins-Work-Policy-Com-Business-Broker-NB%' )

As Ninja said... like 'xyz%' can seek. like '%xyz' can't. This is basically non-optimisable. I don't know how wide pca_work is however so an index covering the needed columns might at least speed things up, but might not, but you're on the right track.

The only piece of this I might see being helpful is making sure that IsIntUWPolicy is the leading edge of your index, but only if it consistently checks for NULL.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Hey Guys apologies for the delay, I've uploaded the proper execution plan. Thanks for all the help so far

• As stated before, if you could get rid of the leading % it may be able to do a seek on the non-clustered index idx_nonClus_pca_work3. If you can INCLUDE the pzInsHandle and pzPVStream columns in idx_nonClus_pca_work3 you could also remove the need to do a Key Lookup. This will increase the index size and possibly the index maintenance, but that is something you can measure and decide on.

If dirty reads are acceptable, the NOLOCK table hint could be a simple work around, or you could look at Snapshot isolation as suggested above.

• Hey Thanks for the reply, I was actually looking to turn off table locking for the specific tables as there was some clear evidence in some traces that I ran that lock escalation was occurring as a result of these queiries and in turn blocking any update statements. However I will look into snapshot isolation as well

• Evil Kraig F (12/7/2011)

matthew.peters (12/7/2011)

Here is the query and I have attached the plan. I assumed a like operator required a index scan? Anyway any help would be appreciated, I have created a non clustered index which the query uses as the primary source for the data

FROM pca_work "PC0"

As Ninja said... like 'xyz%' can seek. like '%xyz' can't. This is basically non-optimisable. I don't know how wide pca_work is however so an index covering the needed columns might at least speed things up, but might not, but you're on the right track.

The only piece of this I might see being helpful is making sure that IsIntUWPolicy is the leading edge of your index, but only if it consistently checks for NULL.

Wondering,

what you are saying is that like '%abc' cannot be optimisable

during a quick test:

like '%abc% is table scanning

like 'abc%' is using index

like '%abc' is using index

Or am i missunderstanding something in the explaination?

• Few things are not optimizable at all.

With a covering index, '%abc%' would still SCAN, but it would likely be a faster scan than a full table scan.

'abc%' = possible seek*

'abc' = possible seek*

'%abc' normally scans but there's a trick to convert that into a seek. care to take a guess? 🙂

*Possible seek => http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/KIMBERLY/post/The-Tipping-Point-Query-Answers.aspx

• I tried but could not see your plan for some reason and also therefore cannot determine how many rows you are scanning. However, just wondering if you can improve performance by using an index on the date column along with a BETWEEN to narrow the row count. Also, if you are consistently looking for rows including certain values is it possible to add a separate indexed column to the table for those well-known values?

• deanroush (12/16/2011)

I tried but could not see your plan for some reason and also therefore cannot determine how many rows you are scanning. However, just wondering if you can improve performance by using an index on the date column along with a BETWEEN to narrow the row count. Also, if you are consistently looking for rows including certain values is it possible to add a separate indexed column to the table for those well-known values?

The plan works for me. Did you save as .sqlplan? This webserver's converts the extension to .xml making it a little more useless.

I don't see any filter on dates so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Hey Guys

I have an issue where an application is running a few different select queries with 'like' operators on a large table in the datebase. These queries in turn are blocking any update statements that are run against the particular table. My question is: Will the queries perform better if they complete a non clustered index scan as opposed to a clusetered index scan?

Any reason why you're no using snapshot isolation for the read operations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply