Clustered Standard Edition

• Hi,

I've inherited a two-node Windows Failover Cluster (SAN storage) with a SQL Cluster configured (Standard Edition) but where SSRS had been rather hopefully installed on both nodes as well.  If the SQL Cluster Role is on Node 1 then SSRS works but once it fails over to Node 2 it doesn't.  Once failed back to Node 1, it comes back to life.

I'm very much a SQL n00b but had a look in ReportServer DB's "Keys" table. It has an entry for each server, with both having an InstallationID and PublicKey but only the node SSRS works on having a SymmetricKey.  I thought having more than one server listed would have caused a Scale Out warning - or is that only if more than one has a symmetric key listed?

The supplier of the system that uses this says we could export the SSRS encryption key off the working SSRS and in the event of failover, import it into SSRS config on the other node...  is that the case?

Is there really some nearly-highly-available-SSRS workaround doable like this??

Many thanks for any thoughts!

• SSRS Standard, as far as I am aware, doesn't support clustering and only allows you to host it on 1 server.

I believe you would need to upgrade to Enterprise to get SSRS to be clustered.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Mr. Brian Gale wrote:

SSRS Standard, as far as I am aware, doesn't support clustering and only allows you to host it on 1 server.

I believe you would need to upgrade to Enterprise to get SSRS to be clustered.

That is incorrect.  You can certainly cluster standard edition.

As far as the SSRS issue, do you have the servers in the cluster configured as your SSRS server, in addition to housing the database?  If it's "all in one", then you need to cluster SSRS.  A google search of "Clustering SSRS" returns a lot of hits.

If you have the SSRS installed on a different server, and the DB is on a clustered server, you need to configure them in a scale-out deployment.  Your database connection would be to the virtual SQL server in this cluster.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply