Clustered Index Seek Causing Poor Performance - Suggestions For Indexes

• Many questions there, among them:

1) what is the provenance of the graph they show. who did the benchmark and tuning of each SAN listed?

2) what the heck is "Real FiberChannel"?

3) they are intentionally causing disk fragmentation which will catch up to them once things get busy.

4) they aren't wiping out the blocks that they are leaving behind as they write their new stripes.

5) was their testing fully read, fully write or a mix?

etc.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Similar to my own questions :laugh:

It's interesting because we have a NetApp box coming in the next few weeks - just to handle shared drives and such - so it's kinda topical. I came across those links recently and thought they were interesting. Not sure I believe it either, but it's sure to provoke debate.

• TheSQLGuru (12/12/2009)

Curious. I wonder if that improvement came simply because NetApp was doing something 'dumb' with the RAID 5 setup you had. I have heard horror stories from multiple clients who tried NetApp for serving up sql server workloads, so I advise all my clients to steer clear of them for that purpose. Maybe they have improved things recently...

Our NetApp DP was a new purchase - didn't use them with the RAID 5 setup.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You seems to be using a lot of functions on the fields in the select. Most of it is converting DateTime field to 112 format. IS that be avoided. As it would avoid the used of those fileds even if they are part of you index. So if you can configure the datetime to the format you want or do it in the application. Instead of doing here in the query

Regards

Asit

• ASITKAUSHIK (6/14/2012)

You seems to be using a lot of functions on the fields in the select. Most of it is converting DateTime field to 112 format. IS that be avoided. As it would avoid the used of those fileds even if they are part of you index. So if you can configure the datetime to the format you want or do it in the application. Instead of doing here in the query

Regards

Asit

That's not correct. The functions are not involved in any filtering (WHERE or ON clauses) so they won't have any affect on index selection and usage.

• No but using that function on the data would require some resources and would be a costly affair. I recommend first just test the result and execution plan of the query removing the convert function. I think it should give a performance impact.

• Please note: 3 year old problem.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply