Cluster with multiple versions of SQL

• Can I make a cluster with 3 versions of SQL?. SQL 2000 Ent, 2005 Ent and 2008 R2 Ent. anylink?

• A single cluster? No.

Multiple clusters using the same hardware - yes (a different cluster for each SQL version) - if you have enough resources.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/30/2011)

A single cluster? No.

Are you sure?

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong, but a single cluster can host multiple virtual instances, and I always understood that there was nothing to say that each instance has to be the same version of SQL Server.

The usual caveats apply re having enough memory, processing power etc and each instance having its own storage.

• Ian Scarlett (3/31/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/30/2011)

A single cluster? No.

Are you sure?

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong, but a single cluster can host multiple virtual instances, and I always understood that there was nothing to say that each instance has to be the same version of SQL Server.

The usual caveats apply re having enough memory, processing power etc and each instance having its own storage.

Terminology clarification - single hardware cluster sounds like what you are referring to and what I was referring to in the second part of my answer. But the virtual instance is also called a cluster. Within that virtual cluster they must be the same version.

And as far as the hardware cluster goes, I have setup multi SQL clusters on different versions of SQL

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• A cluster with 3 nodes, Node 1 with an instance of SQL 2000, node 2 an instance of SQL 2005 and Node 3 with an Instance of SQL 2008 R2, is possible?.

• Bob Giuliani (3/31/2011)

A cluster with 3 nodes, Node 1 with an instance of SQL 2000, node 2 an instance of SQL 2005 and Node 3 with an Instance of SQL 2008 R2, is possible?.

just ensure that the SQL Server 2000 instance is installed first before 2005 and 2008

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• thanks !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply