Cluster Virtual Name and Instance names

• I'm setting up an active/active cluster. I have my defaut instance setup already. Assume the virtual name is MACHINE1

I wanted to setup some named instances using the same virtual name, but different instance names like this:

MACHINE1

MACHINE1\Instance1

MACHINE1\instance2

MACHINE1\instance3

2 questions here:

1. is the above scenario possible?

2. if the above scenario is not possible, since it seems to want unique virtual names, then can you have several default instances on one cluster since they would have unique virtual names?

Any guidance and insight here is much appreciated

Thanks

• You can have an active/active you just have to give them unique names. You can have one default, sort of, instance with no instance name.

so instead of:

MACHINE1

MACHINE1\instance1

MACHINE1\instance2

you'd have to do something like this to get it to work

MACHINE1

MACHINE2\instance1

MACHINE3\instance2

MACHINE1,2,3 are really just virtual names in Active Directory that point to the SQL cluster IP Address.

Hope this helps.

thanks, ERH
  • Adam Angelini (9/10/2008)

1. is the above scenario possible?

No!

Adam Angelini (9/10/2008)

2. if the above scenario is not possible, since it seems to want unique virtual names, then can you have several default instances on one cluster since they would have unique virtual names?

No!

The sql server instances are installed on the same physical machine and you may only have one default instance per machine. The virtual network names are a DNS reference point to the virtual IP address, this is transferred between nodes during failover.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply