Cluster Shared Volumes and Availability Groups

• Hi all,

I'm looking at using Cluster Shared Volumes on a new Windows Server 2012/SQL Server 2014 cluster. Each instance is going to be configured to use cluster shared volumes. Is there any reason why Availability Groups couldn't be used in conjunction with Cluster Shared Volumes ?

Many thanks

Frant

• Was also wondering if FILESTREAM is supported on cluster shared volumes ?

Thanks again

Francis

• ft55 (8/12/2015)

Hi all,

I'm looking at using Cluster Shared Volumes on a new Windows Server 2012/SQL Server 2014 cluster.

They are supported from sql2014 onwards but bear in mind there are some limitations.

ft55 (8/12/2015)

Each instance is going to be configured to use cluster shared volumes. Is there any reason why Availability Groups couldn't be used in conjunction with Cluster Shared Volumes ?

Many thanks

Frant

How many failover cluster instances are you planning to have within the cluster?

AlwaysOn availability groups are specifically designed to be able to utilise instances of sql server that do not have shared storage dependencies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi ,

Thanks for the response , I've just started looking into Cluster Shared Volumes and its really those limitations that I am trying to establish ( I cant seem to find much information online). I've seen that Analysis Services still requires a drive letter so this is a limitation. FILESTREAM and Availability Groups are two other features that we use / will use and I wanted to try and make sure that if we go down the CSV route these features will still work. Do you know of any other limitations or a resource where these are outlined ?

We have 8 failover cluster instances running on our 4 node cluster.

I was thinking of the following config for Availability Groups on a 3 node cluster for example :

1 SQL Failover Cluster Instance configured to failover between Nodes 1 & 2 using CSV Shared Storage (Containing the Primary Replica)

1 SQL Instance Installed on Node 3 using dedicated storage (Containing the Secondary Replica for reporting)

I know that automatic failover wouldn't happen as a Failover Cluster Instance is part of the Availability Group but this isn't important as the secondary replica would be for reporting purposes only. Wondered if using CSV's on the Cluster Instance would cause an issue ?

Again many thanks

Frant

• Hi - I know this post is old, but I am in process of setting up SQL 2014 with CSV. I read that for the database engine, you need CSV. However to setup SSIS, you need separate disks. Can you please share with me how you end up setting up your drives for both nodes and the SSIS installation?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply