Cluster resource failover is not happening after upgrade of service pack3 and GDR security patch .

• I have Upgraded SQL server 2008 r2  service pack 3 in the passive node of the cluster server PROD-01 . After that rebooting the server I have installed GDR security patch update in the same server.
    After restarted again , I came to the server PROD-02 (Active ) and try to move the all the resources and two resources have been moved . One of the service or resource failover is not happening.
    Could you please the reason why the fail over is not happening after upgradation of service pack and security update.
    Please provide is any article which relates to Microsoft.

• What error messages do you see in the cluster log and event log?  It should write in the logs why it cant fail over and causes the immediate fail back.

• Did you receive any error message? You say that two resources were moved so some failover successfully and some don't?

Thanks

• anthony.green - Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:41 AM

What error messages do you see in the cluster log and event log?  It should write in the logs why it cant fail over and causes the immediate fail back.

Thanks for replied to my post .Could you please find the resolution for this error.

The errors we received from cluster log was  event id 1205 [The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application 'SQL Server (****)' completely online or offline. One or more resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the clustered service or application]. 
    And event log it was recorded as event id 19019:[sqsrvres] OnlineThread: Could not connect to server but server is considered up].

• NorthernSoul - Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:43 AM

Did you receive any error message? You say that two resources were moved so some failover successfully and some don't?

Thanks

Thanks for replied to my post .Could you please find the resolution for this error

What error messages do you see in the cluster log and event log?  It should write in the logs why it cant fail over and causes the immediate fail back.
    Thanks for replied to my post .Could you please find the resolution for this error.

The errors we received from cluster log was  event id 1205 [The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application 'SQL Server (****)' completely online or offline. One or more resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the clustered service or application]. 
    And event log it was recorded as event id 19019:[sqsrvres] OnlineThread: Could not connect to server but server is considered up].

Thanks

• Are these the only 2 errors you can see? Have you been able to successfully failover in the past? It might be something like your dependencies aren't set correctly but those error messages aren't giving much away at the moment.

Thanks

• NorthernSoul - Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:58 AM

Are these the only 2 errors you can see? Have you been able to successfully failover in the past? It might be something like your dependencies aren't set correctly but those error messages aren't giving much away at the moment.

Thanks

Again thanks for reply the post .

YES .Earlier it was successfully fail over to the particular node.
    The below are the system error log recorded at the time frame.

Event id 1135:

Cluster node 'SQL01PROD' was removed from the active failover cluster membership. The Cluster service on this node may have stopped. This could also be due to the node having lost communication with other active nodes in the failover cluster. Run the Validate a Configuration wizard to check your network configuration. If the condition persists, check for hardware or software errors related to the network adapters on this node. Also check for failures in any other network components to which the node is connected such as hubs, switches, or bridges.

Event id 1129:

Cluster network 'Cluster Network 3' is partitioned. Some attached failover cluster nodes cannot communicate with each other over the network. The failover cluster was not able to determine the location of the failure. Run the Validate a Configuration wizard to check your network configuration. If the condition persists, check for hardware or software errors related to the network adapter. Also check for failures in any other network components to which the node is connected such as hubs, switches, or bridges.

EVENT ID 1126:

Cluster network interface 'SQL01PROD - Public' for cluster node 'SQL01PROD' on network 'Cluster Network 3' is unreachable by at least one other cluster node attached to the network. The failover cluster was not able to determine the location of the failure. Run the Validate a Configuration wizard to check your network configuration. If the condition persists, check for hardware or software errors related to the network adapter. Also check for failures in any other network components to which the node is connected such as hubs, switches, or bridges.

Could you please give me some resolution for this .

• Have you run the Validate a Configuration wizard and what was the result?

Thanks

• yes, lets see a cluster validation report please

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply