Cluster Node Upgrade Failure

• Hello All,

We recently upgraded or shall I say attempted to upgrade a two node with a file share witness SQL cluster from 2014 to 2016.  I upgraded the passive node first which going by memory completed and said passed.  We had thought we needed to failover the cluster so that we could make the other node passive and upgrade that, but it would not let us.  I believe the error was something like Error code: 0x80071398 The operations failed because either the specified cluster node is not the owner of the group, or the node is a possible owner of the group.   After revisiting the microsoft docs it did not say anything about failing over before upgrade the next node.  So we started the install on the active node which automatically failed over the cluster.  However the failover did not work so I manually did in the failover cluster manager.  The install seemed to continue, but did report some errors when it completed.  At this point we can't failover and I think it's due to the fact one node did not complete the upgrade and I am wondering what is the next best approach.  Unfortunately this is our only cluster setup so we no lab to test, and this is a production server.  So this is a pretty dire situation.  I was thinking about going to the install media and using the remove node from sql server failover cluster option, then running the install again.  I'm still digging but if anyone has suggestions they will be greatly appricated!  I can also try and give more detail if asked.  Thanks to anyone who can contribute!!

More Info
    When looking at the c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server directories on both nodes, only one of them has the MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER folder.  In the log folder on both nodes, one server has a few more sub folders then the other.  The summary.txt files are also not matching, I have attached those from both nodes.

Log Name:  System
    Source:   Foundation Agents
    Date:    5/11/2017 2:40:47 PM
    Event ID:  1167
    Task Category: Events
    Level:   Warning
    Keywords:  Classic
    User:    N/A
    Computer:  bnhbiscl05-01.internal.mywebgrocer.com
    Description:
    Cluster Agent: The cluster resource SQL Server has become degraded.
    [SNMP TRAP: 15005 in CPQCLUS.MIB]

When we try and failover and it goes to pending, then just stops try this is seen in the log....
    SQL 01 Node: MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log
    Starting up database 'mPost new topicaster'.
    2017-05-11 16:06:19.14 spid9s  Error: 948, Severity: 20, State: 1.
    2017-05-11 16:06:19.14 spid9s  The database 'master' cannot be opened because it is version 852. This server supports version 782 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

• please post the output of this powershell script

Get-ClusterResource | Get-ClusterOwnerNode

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Here you go...

• run a cluster validation report and check the output

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply