Cluster, HA., replication. what are my options without a static ip address

• SQL Server 2014, we have never been asked to provide redundancy until now.  We have servers but they are all virtual and do not have static ip addresses.  I need to know what kind of fail over I can do when I dont have an ip address.  I have spent most of this year researching this and it always comes back to an ip address.  The ip address is non-negotiable, I can upgrade to 2016 but that's as far as I can go again not negotiable.

I have applications that are hitting multiple databases on this server. HELP

• Are you saying you cannot get a static IP address assigned to a server?  It doesn't matter whether or not the server is virtual or physical - you should be able to define a static IP address for a server.

Even more problematic for you - if you wanted to create a cluster you would need static IP addresses for both the public and private networks.  A VLAN would need to be created to support the cluster also - as all of your servers would still be virtual.

If the request is to provide HA - then the requirement will be static IP addresses.  Without that - I don't see any other options that will provide for that requirement, and if that is non-negotiable then HA is not possible.  At least it will be required for any cluster related solutions which includes AlwaysOn Availability Groups.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• One more note - if your goal is strictly HA then your virtual environment can provide that for you.  You should be able to move the VM across hosts as needed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• What method HA do you prefer to use, and why? What requirements have to be met? Which technologies meet those requirements?

If the method that meets all of your requirements requires a static IP, then that is a different issue.  Your networking folks should be supporting you in your efforts, not creating artificial barriers.

Log shipping, Mirroring, and replication do not require a static IP. As Jeffery said, if you are in a virtualized environment, there are a few different options out of the box that may meet your needs.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply