Cluster Groups

• I created a Windows 2003 Enterprise cluster (2 node).

I noticed it created two groups:

1. Cluster Group

2. Group 0

Everything was automatically in the Cluster Group (ip, name, and quorum drive) however I notice it somehow put my shared drive (the drive I planned on putting SQL 2005) in "Group 0"

I was wondering if that's normal and if I can move it into the Cluster Group instead before installing SQL Server 2005.

Thanks!

• Yes, that's normal.

I would leave the shared drive in group 1, and install SQL Server 2005 in group 1.

That way, you can move the cluster resources independently of your SQL instance.

• Sorry did you mean group 0?

thanks!

• smallmoney (9/5/2011)

Sorry did you mean group 0?

thanks!

Oops, yes, I did mean group 0 :Whistling:

The name isn't significant, you can rename it to whatever you want... preferably something useful

• Windows 2003 clustering will create a cluster group for every shared drive you add to the cluster. Typically you will want to move some of these drives to a single group so (for example) that your SQL data and log drives are in the SQL group. This process can leave you with empty groups that you can delete or just leave empty.

In Windows 2008 clustering all drives you add are put in the Available Storage group. This avoids some of the work when you move drives to your SQL Server group.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply