cluster failover --memory

• Perry Whittle (3/9/2014)

muthyala_51 (3/8/2014)

any suggestions?

For what?

anything now would just be speculation since the instance was restarted

I am trying to find the exact reason behind why the server behaved like this. Choked for memory even it had enough memory.

• Again, anything we say is just speculation. We don't have access to your server and the logs. You need to check the all the logs on the server to try and determine what occurred.

• muthyala_51 (3/9/2014)

Perry Whittle (3/9/2014)

muthyala_51 (3/8/2014)

any suggestions?

For what?

anything now would just be speculation since the instance was restarted

I am trying to find the exact reason behind why the server behaved like this. Choked for memory even it had enough memory.

To know the exact reason you should do a lot of troubleshooting not just shallow look ups. The information you provided was not enough. So pls try to answer the questions by the people so that you can get close to the solution.

--

SQLBuddy

• I went through all the logs and grabbed some info for you guys. The following links gives us the exact scenario which happened at that time.....

Error 1: There was a memory allocation failure during connection establishment. Reduce nonessential memory load, or increase system memory. The connection has been closed.

Error 2: New queries assigned to process on Node 0 have not been picked up by a worker thread in the last 1680 seconds. Blocking or long-running queries can contribute to this condition, and may degrade client response time. Use the "max worker threads" configuration option to increase number of allowable threads, or optimize current running queries.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/2917ea9b-d5d4-4a5f-839b-9f363041b685/sql-server-is-not-accepting-connections

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/aschenbrenner/2011/10/25/troubleshooting-threadpool-waits/

We have a 32 CPU on our production server and max worker threads setting is set to 2048. But according to microsoft recommendation it should be 960.

• muthyala_51 (3/10/2014)

I went through all the logs and grabbed some info for you guys. The following links gives us the exact scenario which happened at that time.....

Error 1: There was a memory allocation failure during connection establishment. Reduce nonessential memory load, or increase system memory. The connection has been closed.

Error 2: New queries assigned to process on Node 0 have not been picked up by a worker thread in the last 1680 seconds. Blocking or long-running queries can contribute to this condition, and may degrade client response time. Use the "max worker threads" configuration option to increase number of allowable threads, or optimize current running queries.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/2917ea9b-d5d4-4a5f-839b-9f363041b685/sql-server-is-not-accepting-connections

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/aschenbrenner/2011/10/25/troubleshooting-threadpool-waits/

We have a 32 CPU on our production server and max worker threads setting is set to 2048. But according to microsoft recommendation it should be 960.

Error 1: Check this

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=SQL+Server&ProdVer=2000.80.760.0&EvtID=17803&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer

Error 2: Try changing max worker threads to default value and test it.

What are your CPU settings on the server ? MAXDOP, CPU Affinity etc .. Do you have CLR , Linked servers hosted on SQL Server ?

--

SQLBuddy

• CLR is enabled and the server holds linked servers. Maxdop setting is 4. For CPU settings, both processor affinity mask and i/o affinity mask were checked. We also have extended stored procs on the servers.

• How physical do you have and what is max server mem set to?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• 500 GB RAM. 425 GB max memory setting.

• muthyala_51 (3/10/2014)

CLR is enabled and the server holds linked servers. Maxdop setting is 4. For CPU settings, both processor affinity mask and i/o affinity mask were checked. We also have extended stored procs on the servers.

Did you check for any CPU pressure on the server ? Especially due to MAXDOP. Check for CX_Packet WAITS.

You should try to tune Worker Threads and MAXDOP settings for further troubleshooting.

--

SQLBuddy

• What's your SQL Build no ? Also try to collect these counters (Perfmon) which gives us more insight ..

Processor – %Privileged Time

Processor – %Processor Time

Processor – %Interrupt Time

Processor – Interrupts\Sec

Process(sqlservr) - %Processor Time

System – Processor Queue Length

System - Processor Queue Length

System - Context Switches/sec

SQLServer:SQL Statistics Compilations/sec

SQLServer:SQL Statistics Re-Compilations/sec

--

SQLBuddy

• muthyala_51 (3/11/2014)

500 GB RAM

Bit of an odd figure, i'm assuming that's 512GB RAM?

muthyala_51 (3/11/2014)

425 GB max memory setting.

Given the fact you have a lot of CLR and ext stored proc, etc i would lower the max memory setting a little. Monitor the server and if necessary increase or decrease again. My temptation would be to lower it to 384GB and then monitor.

You have to reserve enough RAM for the following

Ext Stored Proc

CLR

Windows OS mem manager

Any other apps running on the server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• muthyala_51 (3/11/2014)

425 GB max memory setting.

Given the fact you have a lot of CLR and ext stored proc, etc i would lower the max memory setting a little. Monitor the server and if necessary increase or decrease again. My temptation would be to lower it to 384GB and then monitor.

You have to reserve enough RAM for the following

Ext Stored Proc

CLR

Windows OS mem manager

Any other apps running on the server

But during the downtime all the memory was able to windows. As the sql server was just trying to grab memory from the windows after restart.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply