Cluster Configuration

• Hi,

I'm attaching our current cluster configuration. Please give me your inputs/advice and what are the modifications necessary in this cluster configuration.

Here one thing I did not understand.Why there is no MSSQL.1 in the root directory (i.e C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL

)? and

when we install 1st SQL instance on Node2, it should go into MSSQL.1 but here it went to MSSQL.2 i.e G:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data

What is mean by root directory here? can we have that root directory in C (OS) drive?

In Standalone server, if we select the path D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer, it will create the data & log files in the path D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data and the root directory also same as this path D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data.

For Cluster Server,Why the Data file path (D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data) and root directory path(C:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL) are DIFFERENT?

I know that we can not install the binaries on Shared cluster drives. That's the reason for having the root directory on C drive (which is the only local drive that the cluster has) Please correct me, if I understood wrong..

My concern here is to make sure the cluster configuration is correct

many thanks

thanks

• Could you please clarify me..

• you dont mention which version of sql server or edition and dont mention which version of windows

Did/have you used clusprep and clusdiag to help you with this.

you dont mention either, any of the sql components like SSIS for example or for what purpose the cluster will be used for. and is it active active or active passive

maybe i am missing something when I am looking at your spreadsheet, but it appears to have 4 sql instances one on the primary node and 3 sql instances on the secondary ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• to try and answer some of your questions. the data and logs are a clustered resource and need to be a shared resource, for failover scenarios. that is why they are not installed like a standalone by default on the c drive.

can I ask if you are knowledgeable about clustering and have access to cluadmin (cluster administrator) if so, does the spreadhsheet reflect the current cluster setup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• If you can go straight to SQL 2008 and Windows 2008 there are wizards making your life simple.

The Disks have to be setup first for Cluster part of SQL and then install SQL.

• SQL Server version: SQL Server 2005 EE x64 with SP3

Windows version: Windows 2003 EE R2 x64 with SP2

Node 1--Active

Node 2--Active

Node3--Passive

What is mean by root directory here? can we have that root directory in C (OS) drive?

In Standalone server, if we select the path D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer, it will create the data & log files in the path D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data and the root directory also same as this path D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data.

For Cluster Server,Why the Data file path (D:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data) and root directory path(C:\Microsoft SQL Sevrer\MSSQL.1\MSSQL) are DIFFERENT?

I know that we can not install the binaries on Shared cluster drives. That's the reason for having the root directory on C drive (which is the only local drive that the cluster has) Please correct me, if I understood wrong..

• gmamata7 (9/4/2009)

Hi,

I'm attaching our current cluster configuration. Please give me your inputs/advice and what are the modifications necessary in this cluster configuration.

Here one thing I did not understand.Why there is no MSSQL.1 in the root directory (i.e C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL

)? and

when we install 1st SQL instance on Node2, it should go into MSSQL.1 but here it went to MSSQL.2 i.e G:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data

many thanks

thanks

Hi Gmamata7,

AFAIK, Your configuration should work absolutely fine.Make sure that D:\ drive in the Excel sheet is also on SAN.

Always in a cluster, SQL Server binaries have to reside on local drives like C:\ drive and the data and log files have to reside on SAN i.e, shared drive.

Suppose that you have SQL Server Instance A installed on Node 1 and that instance A owns a Resource group A. During a failure, Instance A will restart on the node 2 with the same Resource Group A now visible to the healthy Node 2. This is possible only if the Data and Log files are stored on SAN drives which are added to the Resource group A.

Also during the installation the setup program installs the binaries of each instance on the local drive say C:\DRIVE of each of the nodes. This process repeats for each instance installed on a cluster. This is the reason why you don't find MSSQL.1 once again on node 2.

On a cluster, if you install both the binaries and the data & log files on the local drives of each node, the SQL instance on node 1 cannot start on the node 2 if node 1 fails. This is because, eventhough you have the binaries of each sql instance on each node, you don't have the actual database files available. That is the reason why you put your database files on SAN which is visible to each of the nodes.

Note that Clusters are always used for High availability.

But, standalone servers are always alone. We install everything on the local drive. There is no instance level HA in that case . You can use DB mirroring and Log shipping for HA. But, they provide only Database level HA.

Just make sure that the database files are on SAN.

You are right regarding the root directory.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply