Cluster automatic failover - could it be caused by something running within SQL?

• Perry Whittle (10/6/2010)

A network team is 2 or more network adapters configured as one logical network interface. As I said before Windows 2008 clusters do not actually require a separate heartbeat and in any case it certainly shouldn't be teamed. Check the following KB for more info!

Thanks, I'll study that link and will follow up with our sysadmins.

Much appreciated!

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• yes, also check the heartbeat TCP properties to make sure that no DNS registration is set and NETBIOS is disabled. As i said break the team and configure a single NIC for the hearteat network!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

yes, also check the heartbeat TCP properties to make sure that no DNS registration is set and NETBIOS is disabled. As i said break the team and configure a single NIC for the hearteat network!

Thank you, will do.

How easy would it be to make all these changes? I realize an outage is required for this - our system is already in production - but would it be just a matter of navigating around and changing these settings, then rebooting the servers?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• shouldn't need a reboot. Your public connection is set for mixed communication anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, also check the heartbeat TCP properties to make sure that no DNS registration is set and NETBIOS is disabled. As i said break the team and configure a single NIC for the hearteat network!

"...check the heartbeat TCP properties to make sure that no DNS registration is set and NETBIOS is disabled"

Would you have a link for this?

I just need a bit more ammunition to convince the SA team to make these changes.

Also, I tried to figure out how to do this, but I'm clueless: how do I check the TCP properties for the heartbeat?

• Marios Philippopoulos (10/6/2010)

I just need a bit more ammunition to convince the SA team to make these changes.

Point them to the Microsoft KB and ask them to follow MS best practices\recommendations! They shouldn't need you to convince them that the heartbeat should not be teamed. In fact under Windows 2008 it deoesn't require a heartbeat any longer (again the KB contains these details).

Marios Philippopoulos (10/6/2010)

Also, I tried to figure out how to do this, but I'm clueless: how do I check the TCP properties for the heartbeat?

on the TCP IP properties click the advanced button. On the DNS tab ensure dns registration is deselected and on the WINS tab NETBIOS is disabled.

Point them to the Microsoft KB and ask them to follow MS best practices\recommendations! They shouldn't need you to convince them that the heartbeat should not be teamed. In fact under Windows 2008 it deoesn't require a heartbeat any longer (again the KB contains these details).

on the TCP IP properties click the advanced button. On the DNS tab ensure dns registration is deselected and on the WINS tab NETBIOS is disabled.

I did mention to them about the KB article and the fact that heartbeat should not be a separate network and should not be teamed.

Now my conscience is clear... 😎

Your postings in this thread have been a great help.

• I just stumbled on these links:

Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters: Networking (Part 1)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/02/12/windows-server-2008-failover-clusters-networking-part-1.aspx

Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters: Networking (Part 2)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/02/22/windows-server-2008-failover-clusters-networking-part-2.aspx

• yeah, i'm sure i've seen those before. MS recommendation though as far as I've read is still not to team the heartbeat and minimise all traffic by disabling DNS and Netbios.

I went to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections.

Right-clicked on the network connection named "HB Network - TEAM", selected Properties.

In the Networking tab, clicked on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and then clicked Properties button.

In the Internet Protocol Version 4 9TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog I clicked the Advanced button;

In the Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog, i clicked the DNS tab: the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" checkbox is checked.

In the WINS tab the default NetBIOS setting is selected. The radiobutton labeled "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is not selected.

So, if I understand correctly, the current settings are incorrect for the heartbeat:

In the DNS tab: the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" checkbox should be UNCHECKED.

In the WINS tab: the "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" should be selected.

• Marios Philippopoulos (10/6/2010)

Perry Whittle (10/6/2010)

I went to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections.

Right-clicked on the network connection named "HB Network - TEAM", selected Properties.

In the Networking tab, clicked on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and then clicked Properties button.

In the Internet Protocol Version 4 9TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog I clicked the Advanced button;

In the Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog, i clicked the DNS tab: the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" checkbox is checked.

In the WINS tab the default NetBIOS setting is selected. The radiobutton labeled "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is not selected.

So, if I understand correctly, the current settings are incorrect for the heartbeat:

In the DNS tab: the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" checkbox should be UNCHECKED.

In the WINS tab: the "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" should be selected.

correct, there should be no other traffic over this network.

With regard to the real issue, i would get some downtime arranged and fail the instance over to another node.

Note how long the storage, network names, Ip, etc take to go offline move and then come back online again.

For instance, if the networkname was taking a long time to come back online this could possibly be a DNS issue!!

• v2009.8.1.3264_MPSRPT_SQL.exe is a great tool to gather log reports for a cluster, I've ran into some issues awhile ago with the cluster just failing over just cause it felt like it. Turned out it was just a nic driver update on both nodes.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply