Cloudera Vs Hortonworks

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cloudera Vs Hortonworks

• Can you name some good and concise web sites or books on this hadoop technology that you would recomend.

• You can go through following websites:

http://www.greycampus.com/opencampus/hadoop-administrator

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/hadoop/[/url]

• Hi, for books, see this discussion : http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1724468-3728-1.aspx

thanks

Ian

• Hortonworks also offer a Sandbox, which is a free VM-based download that allows you to play about with the Hadoop ecosystem and learn the basics. I'd thoroughly recommend downloading that if you're interested in learning more.

http://hortonworks.com/products/hortonworks-sandbox/

• I think as part of the digital transformation, enterprise big data providers must include the customer feedback in their business models and product development process, and they already do that, at least Horton Works. That means, it is very important the chain from customers to either, Hortonworks and Cloudera, and finally the Apache development community.

The key aspect is who can deliver what the customer really need or demand: Integrating them into the innovation process.

I think is an error in the business model if someone try to replace the classic enterprise data warehouses. Better for me is to create additional value based on innovation, Lock-in of customers and partners, complementary products and services.

Apart from that, one could try to capture new customers that never use business intelligence to support their decisions, and bring them into the world of advance analytics.

Paul Hernández
  • Paul Hernández (10/20/2015)

I think is an error in the business model if someone try to replace the classic enterprise data warehouses. Better for me is to create additional value based on innovation, Lock-in of customers and partners, complementary products and services.

Apart from that, one could try to capture new customers that never use business intelligence to support their decisions, and bring them into the world of advance analytics.

What do you mean by that?

None of the vendors are trying to replace the Enterprise Data Warehouse. Very few people are trying to use Hadoop to do that either. The cost per terabyte is a lot cheaper in Hadoop versus SQL Server and there is distributed processing. Most people are trying to augment ETL and acquire fault-tolerant storage (that's cheaper) with Hadoop as the data source that feeds the EDW.

• Hi,

I read this in the article:

Today, many have outlined the differentiating line as to how Cloudera and Hortonwork look at data warehouses, asserting that Hortonworks is willing to support the present data warehouse storage whereas Cloudera wants to cancel it completely

I just overlooked the word "storage" and understood that Couldera wants to cancel the present data warehouse completely.

Sorry for the confusion but my comment is still valid for the discussion Big Data vs. DW

Paul Hernández
  • A key consideration in this space is where the code contributors are aligned, as that is a major factor when looking at any open source solution. All of the 3 major players, HortonWorks, Cloudera, and MapR, have value add, and all have areas of improvement. Understanding which vendor is helping the key contributors to developing the ecosystem is really critical when making your choice.

http://hadoop.apache.org/who.html#Hadoop+Committers

http://hortonworks.com/blog/reality-check-contributions-to-apache-hadoop/

At least worthy of consideration....

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Hi David, thanks for the explanation.

It is what I wanted to say but in a understandable way.

Paul Hernández

Hi David, thanks for the explanation.

It is what I wanted to say but in a understandable way.

Thanks, Paul. I just wanted to provide some additional "color" to what you were stating by adding the links. 🙂

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Hi,

I read this in the article:

Today, many have outlined the differentiating line as to how Cloudera and Hortonwork look at data warehouses, asserting that Hortonworks is willing to support the present data warehouse storage whereas Cloudera wants to cancel it completely

I just overlooked the word "storage" and understood that Couldera wants to cancel the present data warehouse completely.

Sorry for the confusion but my comment is still valid for the discussion Big Data vs. DW

Oh, I must have misread that too.

I think the author of the article is misinterpreting Cloudera use of Enterprise Data Hub (EDH) in replace of Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW).

Cloudera has repeatedly said they are not trying to position themselves to replace the Enterprise Data Warehouse. They want to be a Enterprise Data Hub (EDH) that stands beside your data warehouse. It's shown through this graphic they have on their site that emphasizes their position:

That being said, Cloudera is still Hadoop. It's HDFS, Impala, Hive and HBase. None of these technologies are designed to replace the data warehouse. They are designed to approach a diverse set of data problems that maybe SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle or even PostgreSQL don't handle that well.

• Minor, author notes: ... there exists the concern of having financial support, which any pre-IPO start-ups are required to have in order to win over enterprise consumers. ....

Cloudera is pre-IPO.

Hortonworks is publicly traded: NASDAQ: HDP

Currently $21.40 a share

• Another point to note is that HortonWorks contributes code (a lot of code) to the Apache projects that make up the Hadoop system and has continuously done so and has something like 20 developers dedicated to the Apache Foundation projects which this utilises.

Cloudera has barely contributed any and I can't remember the stat's on how many dev's they have but it's less than 5 off memory.

Basically Cloudera leverages off the work that others put in, package some extra stuff & then state they are the best.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply