Cloning confusion!

• For disaster-recovery purposes I’m trying to clone a SQL 7 Server. I’ve encountered plenty of weird behavior, like SQL Server refusing to start after the master database has been resorted! It seems to be a sensitive process.

Is the order of operations shown below correct? Any help much appreciated.

1. Dump all databases from the “source” machine (include master, msdb, model) to disk

2. Install a clean copy of SQL Server 7 on the “clone” (apply the same SQL SP). Make sure the directory paths used on the clone are the same as those used on the source machine, e.g. D:\mssql7\data

3.Create empty databases on “clone” using DB names from “source” box

4.Restore “clone” databases from “source” dumps.

Restore master database on “clone” from dumps

5.Stop SQL Server on clone machine; stop SqlAgent, stop SqlManager.

6.Start SQL server in single-user mode: “D> sqlservr –m” from DOS box

7.Open Query Analyzer, restore master database using

“restore database master from disk = ‘D:\mssql7\backup\master.bak’

Result: “the master database has been successfully restored”

8. Using Enterprise Manager, restore msdb, model

Then again, should I create “empty” databases on the clone, restore master, msdb, and then restore the databases form the dumps? Boy am I goofed up!

Bill

• Bill, I've got an article on here that might help you:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/20010425205439_1.asp

The short story is the simplest way I've found is to do the install on the "new" server, then stop the service (make sure you use the same folder location for the install). Stop the service on the other server, copy over the *.mdf *.log files to the "new" server (overwriting the ones just installed), then restart both.

Of course, if you can't stop the service on the orig server you have to work harder!

Andy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply