Client found response content type Error on RS

• I have posted in other forums, searched the internet and I still have not found a solution to this problem and I also do not know why it started.  I have uninstalled / re-installed RS, then I un-installed and re-installed SQL Server 2005 itself.  But when I try to connect to Reporting Services, I get this:

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to UKCINT\UKCAZOSQL.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.

The request failed with the error message:

--

<html>

<head>

<title>

SQL Server Reporting Services

</title><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services 9.00.1399.00" />

<meta name="HTTP Status" content="500" />

<meta name="ProductLocaleID" content="9" />

<meta name="CountryLocaleID" content="1033" />

<meta name="StackTrace" content />

<style>

BODY {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR:black}

H1 {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:700; FONT-SIZE:15pt}

LI {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-SIZE:8pt; DISPLAY:inline}

.ProductInfo {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR:gray}

A:link {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; COLOR:#3366CC; TEXT-DECORATION:none}

A:hover {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; COLOR:#FF3300; TEXT-DECORATION:underline}

A:visited {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; COLOR:#3366CC; TEXT-DECORATION:none}

A:visited:hover {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; color:#FF3300; TEXT-DECORATION:underline}

</style>

</head><body bgcolor="white">

<h1>

Reporting Services Error<hr width="100%" size="1" color="silver" />

</h1><ul>

<li>An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. (rsInternalError) <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=20476&EvtSrc=Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ErrorStrings&EvtID=rsInternalError&ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server%20Reporting%20Services&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00" target="_blank">Get Online Help</a></li><ul>

<li>Could not load type 'Microsoft.Web.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory'. (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config line 45)</li><ul>

<li>Could not load type 'Microsoft.Web.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory'.</li>

</ul>

</ul>

</ul><hr width="100%" size="1" color="silver" /><span class="ProductInfo">SQL Server Reporting Services</span>

</body>

</html>

--. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient)

BUTTONS:

OK

I do not know what it means.  It says that it cannot load type 'Microsoft.Web.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory' from web.config in the wwwroot directory.  This is surrounded with the HTTPHandler tags.

I can browse the directory through Internet Explorer.

If anybody can help, I really appreciate it.

UPDATE:  When I comment out the HTTPHandler, I can connect to RS, however I get an error from a remote client trying to connect.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I am facing exactly the same issues. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Geetali Sodhi

• Hi

I am facing the same issue , i checked in the error logs for the server and this is what i found ...

The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server XXXXSEREVERNAMEXXX No authentication protocol was available.

Here is the perceding error message.

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC'. The error was 'The specified metadata was not found.

Please help

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Hi

I am facing the same issue , i checked in the error logs for the server and this is what i found ...

The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server XXXXSEREVERNAMEXXX No authentication protocol was available.

Here is the perceding error message.

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC'. The error was 'The specified metadata was not found.

Please help

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Hi all,

I am very new to this community. Even i am facing the same problem while connecting to reporting services.

• Hello,

I am not able to connect to reporting services using Management Studio. I have installed SQL Server 2005 for Developer on my Vista Desktop.

Thanks

Vinod

• I have the SAME problem!  Trying to install CRM and it requires RS.  Why is this so dificult??

Can anyone help us?

• I have the exact same problem - trying to connect to RS via SQL Management Studio. I can get into Report Manager and the other tools without a problem, but was trying to connect via Management Studio to set up security as outlined in the SQL tutorials.

• Metadata not found is an IIS issue.

• You dont give too many details regarding how this problem started but I have had this problem before and it was due to re-naming the windows server. I experienced this as we moved the server from a test environement to production and therefore changed the name of the box.

If this is your problem, here is the solution:

firstly, open this file:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config.xml

You can open this is Visual Studio or text pad.

Edit the line containing the url link. I have pasted the current setting i have but you may well see your old server name. If it is your old server name replace it with http://localhost/reportserver.

Secondly, open SQL Server Configuration Monitor

Under SQL Server 2005 Services you will see all your agents and servers. Open the the Reporting Services Properties.

Under the Log On Tab select configure.

Find your server name and connect (this may take a little bit of time to connect!)

Click on Database Setup from the left hand panel, this will bringup database connection options.

At the server name text box you should see you old server name, remove it and select your current server name.

Apply all you changes and exit Config Manager.

Now try and connect tyo RS using the mangement studio and you should connect.

Good luck, i would also appreciate other comments as this seems to be a big issue and may not be just related to renaming servers.

• thanks, this definitely fixed my problem. The thing that caused my problem was that SRS wasn't the only website on IIS on the box, so I had to modify the config file and add the port number under the URL tag.

• I am getting the same error and looking at the flow of commication, it seems that there is no solution. Have any you guys got resolution to this frasturating error?

• I have faced this problem before and the solution was this.

Go to My Computer>C Drive>Program Files>MSSQL 2005>MSSQL3>Reporting Services>ReportServer>Web(XML Configuration File)

Compare yours with the one I have attached here.

Note that the authentication mode should be "Windows"

You can type in the values and then save the files and try to open your application back. It should work!

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• Recreating the virtual directory in the "reporting service configuration manager", the report server virtual directory , report manager virtual directory, all using the default setting.

It works in my case!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply