Cleaning the cache for a Query.

• Dear All,

While testing a query when we run it second time, it uses cache so performs better then previous run.

Do we have any way to clean cache of a particular query without affecting cache of other queries?

• If it's a stored procedure you can use sp_recompile proc_name.

I'm not sure about removing a single query from the plan cache. Perhaps you could put the query in the stored proc and specify WITH RECOMPILE in the stored proc.

• Just did some testing on this - It seems you can remove a single plan from the cache, if you know the plan handle.

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE (plan_handle)

• T.Ashish (6/18/2013)

Dear All,

While testing a query when we run it second time, it uses cache so performs better then previous run.

Do we have any way to clean cache of a particular query without affecting cache of other queries?

You mean data cache? If so, then no - the data read and cached during execution of your query is available to other queries.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• T.Ashish (6/18/2013)

Why do you want to?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You could DROPCLEANBUFFERS, but I would probably not do that on a production SQL instance. Obviously, there are a lot of factors at play in a decision like that.

My first thought is- why not look at the execution plan and see just how the query optimizer intends to satisfy the query and go from there.

• I want to do this because when I check performance of a query and I need to run it again and again, I can't clean everything, because I'm not the only user on database.

For my local copy I can use these two commands :

DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE

And WITH (RECOMPILE) works only for Stored Procedure.

For query editor we have OPTION (RECOMPILE), but even with this option it seems that SQL is using cache.

• DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS with clear the entire clean part of the buffer pool.

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE will remove all plans from cache

If you have the plan_handle of the query, you can remove that single plan from cache.

There is no way to only remove the pages in the buffer pool related to the query

• T.Ashish (6/18/2013)

I want to do this because when I check performance of a query and I need to run it again and again, I can't clean everything, because I'm not the only user on database.

So don't clear anything. Run the query multiple times and ignore the first execution time and characteristics as that's the one that incurs the caching cost.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply