Clean up Maintenance plans in SQL 2005

• Hello Friends,

Using Master target principle I have scheduled the backup maintenance plans. Backups are running perfectly but there are a lot of files created (like text files) on the local directory after the maintenance process completes.

I dont have a clue as to where i did mention these text files to be created. Is there an option where i can specify the text files to be deleted and the Location where i can find the path in the console SSMS so i can redirect the path to some other location.

Regards and Thanks

Eben

• ebenraja (9/21/2009)

Hello Friends,

Using Master target principle I have scheduled the backup maintenance plans. Backups are running perfectly but there are a lot of files created (like text files) on the local directory after the maintenance process completes.

I dont have a clue as to where i did mention these text files to be created. Is there an option where i can specify the text files to be deleted and the Location where i can find the path in the console SSMS so i can redirect the path to some other location.

Regards and Thanks

Eben

Just out of curiosity, are the files in a LOG folder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• If I am not worng the txt file which you are talking about is the log files of the jobs. Now you can set the retention period for this history file by creating history cleaup task.

HTH.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Maintenance cleanup task for the files

History Cleanup for the log files (text)

Add it to your maintenance plan and point it to the folder.

• You can also disable the reports so they don't get generated at all (my preference, since they are rather useless IMHO). Open the maintenance plan and click on the report button in the header (right next to the connection button).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Friends,

Thanks a lot. I have added the history clean up task and specified the Historical maintenance plan history to be deleted every 2days.

If this doesn work out i will disable the Reproting option as a whole.

Thanks you all of you guys.....

cheers

eben

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply