Christmas in July

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Christmas in July

• Steve, I wish you well with the fence project.  Being an old Illinois farm-raised boy I know that can be hard work. Hope it's not as hot and humid there as where we are in the midwest this year.

Christmas in July?  Not for us this year.  We're both on SS, and what with having lost over 1.5 years worth of my last salary level from retirement funds so far in the first six months,  we're having a pretty sparse summer.  We buy groceries and not much else other than the luxury of running our A/C to keep the house bearable and Starbucks K-cups for our morning coffee.   Don't take me wrong, we're comfortable and OK, but not being foolish.

I'll try not to make this too political, but this is the most sad July 4th celebration in my life, and I pray for our country to survive.   We'll sit under Old Glory on our patio and hope.  I'm a proud 'deplorable'!

God please bless the USA!

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• I wish I could take time out  to relax somewhere for at least a week. I don't see that happening. There are too many demands and responsibilities in my personal life right now. I won't get into it, so will only day that if there were a cave somewhere I could go to hide for a month from it all, I'd be tempted to do that.

Things at work are getting weird. Very weird. There's a lot of upheaval, uncertainty, and rumors. So much so that I think it would be better if I don't mention any of that. I'd as likely say something wrong, without knowing I was saying something wrong, then saying anything correct.

I know that this time can't last forever. So, just waiting for something to go away.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work wrote:

I wish I could take time out  to relax somewhere for at least a week. I don't see that happening. There are too many demands and responsibilities in my personal life right now. I won't get into it, so will only day that if there were a cave somewhere I could go to hide for a month from it all, I'd be tempted to do that.

Things at work are getting weird. Very weird. There's a lot of upheaval, uncertainty, and rumors. So much so that I think it would be better if I don't mention any of that. I'd as likely say something wrong, without knowing I was saying something wrong, then saying anything correct.

I know that this time can't last forever. So, just waiting for something to go away.

Rod, my prayers are with you during your difficult time.  You have my support and I would encourage you to get some personal counselling.  I've been there, done that.  Over the years I've found that my pastor has been the best source, far better than shrinks.

If you would like to communicate privately, I'm at skeleton567@gmail.com.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• It is winter here in New Zealand so we traditionally have a mid-winter Xmas meal with all the trimmings!

• CC-597066 wrote:

It is winter here in New Zealand so we traditionally have a mid-winter Xmas meal with all the trimmings!

Ha, yes, great idea. As an antipodean myself, I can definitely raise my glass to that.

Although I don't currently live in New Zealand, I have long felt that NZ needs something festive in the middle of its winter. Sunbathing on the beach at Christmas is okay too, but, having lived in Norway and the UK for quite a while, I still think that the northern hemisphere has the edge with Christmas in winter.

Maybe the best way to think about it is what Scrooge said at the end of A Christmas Carol: "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."

Hang in there, guys, and I'll do the same. Maybe these troubles will make a man of me yet.

MarkD

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply