Choosing Your Tasks

• I'd say I have a bit more self directed time than when I answered last time. Perhaps 50-60% of it, and I think I do use it pretty well all in all. I always have a list of issues that are not exactly critical but can be worked on, and it's nice to sort those things out. Perhaps streamlining a query structure or standardising how a feature works in a project across several areas, that sort of thing.

• 25%

• call.copse (10/8/2015)

I'd say I have a bit more self directed time than when I answered last time.

Oh, this question was from 2011 wasn't it. So back then I had maybe 10%. Now it's 25%.

• 70% of the time self-direct. 30% of the time directed.

I work on the analytics team. While there is other tech teams in the company, I am dedicated to analytics. But, most of my time is still self-directed in the sense that I have general stories that I need to implement, but all tasks are decided and directed by myself. This would include everything from being the architect to ETL developer to SQL developer to general DBA.

When I get direction, it's normally for reporting needs such as working with a data scientist or analyst to create, clean and extract a dataset for analytical reporting.

• Here is me getting assigned tasks:

Take a look at the email I just forwarded.

Figure out what's going on.

Fix it.

Let me know as soon as it's done.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I work freelance architect/developer so 0% of chargeable time. Between 0% and 50% of time working i.e. sometimes I manage to spend as much of my own time on tasks as the standard "day job".

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply