CHOOSE - 1

• Hugo Kornelis

I am surprised to see that you responded to one post, but didn't respond in any way to the criticism from other posts. With that, you create the appearance of not caring about the criticism.

Unfortunately the criticism touches me deeply, but I have learned to bite my tongue and say nothing that provokes further argument. I try to learn from the criticism how to form improved QODs.

By the way your discussions following my QODs is great, for which I thank you.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Hugo Kornelis (1/29/2013)

I too think that every serious SQL Server professional (hmmm, that should a tautology) should have access to a sandbox SQL Server instance in an isolated environment, where (s)he can try out stuff without having to fear breaking any important things. And while it's not required to have AdventureWorks there, it definitely can be convenient.

For me, that sandbox instance lives on my own laptop. Developer edition - costs only 50 bucks; I luckily don't have to pay, but otherwise I definitely would pay for it out of my own pocket without giving it as much as a second thought. Or, if I really had a hard time coughing up that amount, I would switch to Express Edition.

I wouldn't have a hard time coughing up 50 bucks for 2012 developer edition, but I would have had a hard time last year coughing up 2000 bucks to replace my current platform which won't support sql 2012 (and wouldn't have space for it even if it did support it, sine I want to retain the current 2008 R2 sandbox capability anyway and with a few gigabytes dedicated to other learning materials I'm pushed for disc space). I had planned to buying a new platform last year, but various problems cropped up which occupied a lot of my time and screwed up my cash flow and that prevented it (temporarily only; I will do it in May this year, I think - I don't want to do it while in P del C because there's no reliable IT retailer here, so it waits until I'm next in the UK).

I don't think it's always necessary for a DB professional to have a sandbox with the latest SQL Server version: I never had an SQL 2005 Sandbox when my work was on SQL 2000, because I didn't have time for it when it was relevant - I did have time enough to read 2005 documentation and compare it with 2008 (for which I did acquire a sandbox) and determine as a result that we would go strainght from 2000 to 2008 without touching 2005, which I believe was the correct professional decision to take for the company, and having a 2005 sandbox wouldn't have helped me to reach it.

But I still don't like the question at all. You could just as well have written: "download and install an evaluation edition of SQL Server 2012 if you don't have one yet, then download and install AdventureWorks 2012, then run the code below - what is the result". That would have been the exact same learning experience.

I agree completely with that view of the question.

Tom

• bitbucket-25253 (1/29/2013)

Unfortunately the criticism touches me deeply

I am sorry to hear that you feel so hurt. You made a mistake. So what? We're only humans, we're supposed to make mistakes. And if I were given the luxury of getting to choose where I'll make my next mistake, I'd pick the QotD in an instant. It's not like lifes are at stake here!

I know I can dish out harsh criticism, but I always do so in the hope of providing ways to improve (and I get from the rest of your message that you take it that way). I always try (but probably still sometimes fail) to target my words to the topic, not to the person, and to maintain a positive tone. And in the situations where I do fail to come over that way, please remember that I don't intend to cut you, or anyone, down.

Some other posters may come across as more blunt - but when I submit a question(**) and find myself at the receiving end, I always try to disregard any negativism and end up with the improvement suggestion hidden in those messages. And then I consider whether I agree with that suggestion or not, and respond to that.

(Oh, and if people really start attacking me, I try to ignore it. Just as I do with all the silly "give me my point" messages).

(**) And yes, I know it's been way too long since I last submitted a question. I'll try to do better in the future. But not now - no time!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• bitbucket-25253 (1/29/2013)

Unfortunately the criticism touches me deeply, but I have learned to bite my tongue and say nothing that provokes further argument. I try to learn from the criticism how to form improved QODs.

Sorry to hear that. I dont think that this is the right reaction though.

Hugo already mentioned that we all do make mistakes. And sometimes it is just important to acknowledge a mistake and take the lesson with you.

This is not the first time you have submitted a QOTD. So the fact that this single one is at least "controversial", should not really bother you in a way that you avoid the discussion.

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner

• Ron, you must have overlooked something this time.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• Christian Buettner-167247 (1/29/2013)

bitbucket-25253 (1/29/2013)

davoscollective

A lot of people are complaining about not having SQL Server 2012 or Adventureworks on production machines. I have a test/dev VM with SQL Server 2012 SP1 and both the Adventureworks2012 and AdventureworksDW2012 databases. I would have thought this would be something SQL Server professionals should all do so that you can start to become familiar with the new functionality prior to any potential upgrade of your systems, or even just to keep your skills up to date. If not then this question might be useful in that it serves as a prompt to do that. If you can't install stuff at work and you don't want to do it on your off time, then why not get a free cloud trial with Azure or something else so you can try it out. I'm pretty sure I've read Steve Jones suggesting exactly that a few times.

Bolding added by this poster.

+1

1. Deny the problem

2. Blame it on the customer

What does that remind me of? Oh yes, customer service in general...

Don't get me wrong, I honor the fact that you submitted this QOTD (and the many great questions from you before this one, and the ones that are about to come). But I think this one went in the wrong direction.

But maybe I have misinterpreted it. Because I was under the impression that it tries to teach you how to use Choose, not how to become a "SQL Server professional" by reviewing AdventureWorks during QOTDs.

1) I think you've taken me out of context here, that quote is not my entire reply. My first comments were assuming that he had made a mistake in the question and I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.

2) I don't think you are a customer here considering this is free, it's an opportunity to learn, and if you work in the SQL Server space and are keen on continuous learning then Adventureworks should be very familiar to you. It's the common ground we have to provide examples to each other without revealing sensitive corporate data.

Again, if you can't afford it or don't have the space for 2012 dev/express/MSDN free, get a test account on one of the cloud providers. If you don't have time for that then fair enough, but surely that is your decision, unless of course you are an indentured DBA.

• Thanks Ron.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks for the question.

• without running code how can you predict such answer ?

I have neither SQL2012 nor adventureworks2012

I had better to play lotto !

• This one clearly proved that roughly half the people here do not try to solve the "riddles" using their brain. Without fetching that silly demo, the only correct answer would have been one marked as incorrect - since you'd be forced to add a uniform distribution assumption.

• i did not like the question because of insufficient information was provided.

Malleswarareddy
    I.T.Analyst
    MCITP(70-451)

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply