checkdb consistency errors

• Hello, I have run checkdb against a database and I get the following error returned.

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 12 consistency errors in database 'BBB'.

repair_allow_data_loss is the minimum repair level for the errors found by DBCC CHECKDB (BBB repair_rebuild).

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

I also get this msg further up the error output:

Server: Msg 8964, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Table error: Object ID 1598628738. The text, ntext, or image node at page (1:51944), slot 1, text ID 61486989312 is not referenced.

I created a test system and ran checkdb with the repair_allow_data_loss option on this db, this reported that the problem has been fixed.

My questions are:

1) What does the error "is not referenced" actually mean.

2) The users have not reported any problems, so is this a serious problem?

3) The server was shutdown a month ago, it appears that this shutdown may have caused the problem. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the SQL database should be stopped before the server is shutdown? There doesn't seem to be an official line from Microsoft on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Martyn

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• >>"2) The users have not reported any problems, so is this a serious problem?"

it depends, if the corruption is isolated, the users may not actually access the part of the database that is corrupted... for now!

DBCC CHECKDB is going to check every page of every table...

if possible, DBCC CHECKDB should be run as often as possible, I run it against all of our production DB's every night, with error notifications, and I check for these notifications every morning when I come in...

SQL Server can be shutdown without the the server being shutdown, during the server shutdown, SQL Server will be shutdown because the OS will stop the service... but its a normal shutdown... unless there is something else going on in the database that prevents it from shutting down properly...

Take a few minutes to look at the SQL Server Logs, get familiar with the steps that the SQL Server takes during startup and shutdown... one thing to take notice of is the database recovery (transactions being rolled back, etc.) process that takes place...

typically corruption is caused by some kind of disk I/O error... I've also seen corruption caused by things like Veritas, because it was trying to lock a file while a DBCC command was running... again, its basically an I/O error...

SQL Server came from Sybase, Sybase DBA's know that DBCC's are a critical part of maintenance, as are db dumps, and tran. log dumps...

Regards,

Joe Burdette
    hanesbrands.com

• Thanks for your reply.

I found a best practices document on ms web site, that says

"Starting, pausing, and stopping the SQL Server service should be done through Enterprise Manager whenever possible." But it doesn't really explain why, and it doesn't actually say not to shutdown the server without stopping the SQL service. See.....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/sqlops4.mspx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply