Check this correct - my DBCC script

• Hi,

I intend to run this against all our SQL Servers to check every database (not done nearly enough)...to save me time and effort I have completed the following script (thanks to some posts here and google)...is this the best way of doing it (there is a lot of database across multiple servers and some are large)

DECLARE @dbname varchar(50) --database name

DECLARE check_cursor CURSOR FOR

SELECT name

FROM MASTER.dbo.sysdatabases

OPEN check_cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM check_cursor into @dbname

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

DBCC CHECKDB (@dbname) WITH NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS

PRINT N'Checking the database = ' + @dbname + ' any error messages will be listed above'

FETCH NEXT FROM check_cursor INTO @dbname

END

CLOSE check_cursor

DEALLOCATE check_cursor

EDIT - I have just noticed it stops if a db is offline ...need to make an adjustment to ensure it runs against all databases before stopping

• ...is this the best way of doing it (there is a lot of database across multiple servers and some are large)

I like to use Ola Hallengren script for DB maintenance (including integrity checks). Its been tested and used widely across the community.

What I usually do is have an "InstanceMaintenance" database in each SQL instance I administer, this will have the above script as well as other scripts that help diagnose/report/track issues on that instance.

I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, its just a recommendation 🙂

/>L

-----------------
    ... Then again, I could be totally wrong! Check the answer.
    Check out posting guidelines here for faster more precise answers[/url].

I believe in Codd
    ... and Thinknook is my Chamber of Understanding

• sysdatabases is deprecated, included only for backward compatibility with SQL 2000 and should not be used in new development.

Replacement is sys.databases

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/23/2012)

sysdatabases is deprecated, included only for backward compatibility with SQL 2000 and should not be used in new development.

Replacement is sys.databases

noted - I am running against some SQL2000 so I added a comment to the script to remove once we have removed those servers.

Question -> The script stops if a database is offline - how can I skip these databases? Is it safe to use "select name from sysdatabases where version != 0 AND version is not null

• select *

from sysdatabases

where version != 0

AND version is not null

AND status <> 512

After a quick google on sysdatabases if found this helpful tidbit.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260406%28v=sql.80%29.aspx

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, read Jeff Moden's suggestions.[/url]

"Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten." ― Terry Pratchett, Mort

• D.Post (11/23/2012)

select *

from sysdatabases

where version != 0

AND version is not null

AND status <> 512

After a quick google on sysdatabases if found this helpful tidbit.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260406%28v=sql.80%29.aspx

I will have to calculate the bits for the databases to ignore (for example my offline database status = 4194816 autoshrink + offline) thanks for that - I will use the version at the minute as that does seem to be working....however I will write the status column in for future reference too...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply