Check for Zip file to process DTS job

• I read the article from Bruce Zsabo, "Using DTS to Detect and Process a File."

Great article. I was looking for something like that. I have a question, though.

I did use the script to try this out and it works fine. Then, I I tried to check if a ZIP file exits if not, do not process job. This option failed.

the script is a little long so I thought the best way to ask is this:

Have anyone use an activeX script to check the existence of a ZIP file. If so, process the job. Otherwise stop the job and exit.

If ... ".ZIP" then run DTSName

else

Exit DTS job

END

Anyone? I appreciate your help.

• The FileSystemObject has a "fileexists" property you can check.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• yes, you can use the filesystemobject's filexists property to check for the file and if it is there, then run your dts job via an activex script object...call this package as frequently as needed as a scheduled job in sql server..

quote:

I read the article from Bruce Zsabo, "Using DTS to Detect and Process a File."

Great article. I was looking for something like that. I have a question, though.

I did use the script to try this out and it works fine. Then, I I tried to check if a ZIP file exits if not, do not process job. This option failed.

the script is a little long so I thought the best way to ask is this:

Have anyone use an activeX script to check the existence of a ZIP file. If so, process the job. Otherwise stop the job and exit.

If ... ".ZIP" then run DTSName

else

Exit DTS job

END

Anyone? I appreciate your help.

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• We use file exists in all are packages and to take it a step further we have designed each package to do meet one of the 3 variables:

1) If data text file exists in dir a(staging area) then run package:

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

2) If data text file exists in dir b (production area) then re-run the package

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

3) Else if data file is not located in either a or b then:

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Failure

There were many obstacles to face in tying to implement this scenario and if you would like I could show you an example of how we were able to create this using a lot of ActiveX and ADO

• Hey thanks for the nice comments. It is amazing if you don't stay up on these boards you can find your name posted and not even know people are saying nice things about you. There is probably a post somewhere asking why I would do something so stupid. Off to find it. If you need any help let me know.

Bruce

Bruce Szabo, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD

Bruce Szabo, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply