Character Field Declaration

• Nice question - neatly demonstrates the two uses of the "char" keyword in T-SQL.

Also, I managed to get it right without looking it up or loading up SSMS, which is always a bonus πŸ˜‰

• paul s-306273 (2/11/2014)

BWFC (2/11/2014)

martin.whitton (2/11/2014)

Stuart Davies (2/11/2014)

Nice question

Glad I answered it after my first coffee - knew it wasn't "it starts raining" even though I live in the west of England

Here in the north of England "it's already raining" would always be the correct answer πŸ˜€

I hope you're not affected by the flooding, Stuart. For once it looks worse down there than up here.

+1

Surely BWFC doesn't mean Bolton Wanderers...

Greetings from rainy Manchester!

Greetings!

BWFC certainly does stand for Bolton Wanderers, we're only the 19th best team in the Championship you know! It's not been the best season for us...but this isn't the place to discuss that :Whistling: At least I'm safe in the knowledge that I'm not the only fan in the in the office for a change.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (2/11/2014)

Nice question

Glad I answered it after my first coffee - knew it wasn't "it starts raining" even though I live in the west of England

Here in the north of England "it's already raining" would always be the correct answer πŸ˜€

I hope you're not affected by the flooding, Stuart. For once it looks worse down there than up here.

+1

Nope thankfully not too bad for me about 50 miles from the worst of it - but horrors of horrors it's now affecting the centre of the country - the Home counties!! :w00t: (never mind the poor swines who have been flooded out since christmas)

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Stuart Davies (2/11/2014)

BWFC (2/11/2014)

Nice question

+1

Nope thankfully not too bad for me about 50 miles from the worst of it - but horrors of horrors it's now affecting the centre of the country - the Home counties!! :w00t: (never mind the poor swines who have been flooded out since christmas)

It must be terrible to be flooded out, it makes me feel particularly lucky to be clinging to the side of the hills in the North. I must say I was impressed how quickly the government mobilised a response recently. Anybody would think their core voters were going to be affected.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• very nice question ... but excellent third option ... Raining ... :hehe:

cheers !!!

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• The answer choices are a bit ambiguous I think.

I ran it and it started snowing.

• Nice QOTD..

Thanks Mark.

• Koen Verbeeck (2/11/2014)

ashwani24 (2/10/2014)

Answer is both i.e. success as well as fail, Fail in 2005 or lower version and success in 2008 or above as you have not specified any version to execute.

It is an unwritten rule that unless specified otherwise, the latest general available version is assumed.

At the moment of this question, that is SQL Server 2012.

The question is also valid for the two previous versions, SQL Server 2008 and 2008R2, so claiming that the question is incorrect because of an almost 10-year old version seems like nitpicking to me.

+1 πŸ˜€

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Thanx 4 the easy point.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• No problem 😎

It's funny, mind: I did think that making it Char(32) I was giving it away, but the right answer was by no means getting 90% of respondents getting it right, so thanks folks..

(btw, I did think option 3 wouldn't make the cut, so thanks SQLSC.com too)

• I disagree there are two possible answers here.

It started raining as soon as I read the answer options. :hehe:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (2/11/2014)

I disagree there are two possible answers here.

It started raining as soon as I read the answer options. :hehe:

+1. I wanted to take answer 3, but I knew it wasn't the correct one. Thanks for the good question...and now it's raining in south Alabama. πŸ˜€

Everything is awesome!

• Thanks for the great question on declarations. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply