changing the table reserved size

• Thanks everyone,

I ran DBCC DBREINDEX ('Actions') also dbcc dbreindex ('actions','',80) which give me

namerowsreserveddata index sizeunused
    actions10391831232232407848144

the reserved size when down from 118800 to 31232. woohoo!

now I can play wow .. hehehe

• Sounds about right... What command did you use on the first reindex?

• I used DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and I think I didn't run DBCC DBREINDEX properly.

Thanks all

• Ok, if you can figure out what didn't work, could you please post it in the forum so it may help someone else in the future?

• note that index defrag and index rebuild are very very different, the table was badly fragmented, I can't understand why you need to rebuild the table with 80% fill factor btw, you can't recommend a fill factor unless analysis of the table has been done to establish the optimal setting - first thing I always do is remove fill factors unless there is a justified proof for it, all you do is bloat database size, increase scans and readahead and increase io.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• The idea is to let me know if the database has only 10% space. I used sp_helpfile to get the current size and max size. Since my database reach the max size, I started deleting rows (like the actions table, etc) and found out that the reserved size almost remain the same. I used DBCC DBREINDEX ('actions')  to reduce the size (thanks people).

Now I ran the sp_helpfile again and it still showing the same size. I guess making the table size small doesn't change this.

I think I'm going to run DBCC shrinkdatabase('database_name', truncateonly) and see what happen. I just need to read about it before running it. I'll updated this post when i get home.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply