Changing Service accounts in A Cluster

• garryha

Old Hand

I need to change the SQL server service and agent service accounts on my SQL server instances.  However they are in a 2 node active/passive cluster configuration.

I am not sure how to proceed, what is the best process to change the accounts?

• John Mitchell-245523

SSC Guru

Fail over so that both/all instances are on Node 1.  Change the service accounts on Node 2.  Fail over both/all instances Node 2.  Change the service accounts on Node 1.  Fail each instance back to its starting location.

John

• garryha

Old Hand

I have said Instance, thereby implying I am using FCI, I am using just Availability Groups.  I need to change the SQL Server service and Agent account on both sql server instances where there is always on using availability groups.

• John Mitchell-245523

SSC Guru

Same principle.  Fail over all AGs to one node, do whatever maintenance you need on the other, then do it again in reverse.  I take it you don't have any non-AG production databases on either of the nodes?

John

• garryha

Old Hand

No, there are no no-AG databases.  Ok thanks for the reply seems simple enough - failover AGs to primary, change SQL Server/Agent accounts on secondary and then do the same in reverse.

• garryha

Old Hand

I have tried changing the SQL Server Agent account first through Configuration Manager.  However after entering the new service account name and password and hitting the apply button I get the following error -

'The specified network password is not correct.'

Having checked the password is correct I am at a loss as to what is wrong.  I am an admin on the box but not a domain admin, but I have changed this before from the default to using a gMSA account, however now we are having to go with just a normal domain service account.

• CanIKickIT

Old Hand

Ensure your sysadmin hasn't left the 'User must change password at first login' checkbox checked when he\she created the service accounts.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 3 hours ago by  CanIKickIT.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply