Changing object owner

• Hello SSC,

Does changing ownership of an object require an instance reset, or can it be done live without causing any problems? (maintenance plans, databases, agent jobs, etc.)  I want to change the owner domain\user to 'sa' on hundreds of servers but need to make sure it won't cause any problems.  These would be SQL Server 2008 and up.

Thanks,
    Dan

• changing the owner for object or jobs are just  object level schema lock; no instance wide affects. if someone is connecting or updating , you might have to wait for a transaction to complete, but it's just a wait.

i use ALTER SCHEMA {schemaname} TRANSFER dbo.TableName all the time, in a loop, as i move data in and out of schemas.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• ifilter - Monday, January 16, 2017 11:06 AM

Hello SSC,

Does changing ownership of an object require an instance reset, or can it be done live without causing any problems? (maintenance plans, databases, agent jobs, etc.)  I want to change the owner domain\user to 'sa' on hundreds of servers but need to make sure it won't cause any problems.  These would be SQL Server 2008 and up.

Thanks,
    Dan

also i wrote this snippet to identify potential offenders:

--check all databases
    select
     'Database Not owned by sa' As Issue,
      name,
      suser_sname(dbz.owner_sid) As TheOwner ,
      CASE
      WHEN suser_sname(dbz.owner_sid) <> 'sa'
      THEN 'ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE::' + name + ' to sa;'
      ELSE ''
      END As cmd
    from sys.databases dbz
    WHERE suser_sname(dbz.owner_sid) <> 'sa'
    order by dbz.name;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb.[dbo].[#tmp]') IS NOT NULL
    DROP TABLE [dbo].[#tmp]
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[#tmp] (
    [DatabaseName] NVARCHAR(128)        NULL,
    [AsObjectName] SYSNAME         NOT NULL,
    [ObjectType]  NVARCHAR(60)         NULL)

INSERT INTO #tmp([DatabaseName],[AsObjectName],[ObjectType])
    EXEC sp_msForEachDb 'SELECT ''[?]'' As DatabaseName, name AsObjectName, type_desc AS ObjectType FROM [?].sys.objects WHERE principal_id IS NOT NULL'

SELECT 'object not owned by sa' AS Issue,* FROM #tmp

SELECT
      'objects not in dbo schema' As issue,
      sch.[name] AS schema_name,
      objz.[name] AS table_name,
      'ALTER SCHEMA dbo TRANSFER ' + quotename(sch.[name]) + '.' + quotename(objz.[name]) + ';' AS cmd
    FROM
      sys.objects AS objz JOIN
      sys.schemas AS sch
       ON objz.[schema_id] = sch.[schema_id]
    WHERE sch.schema_id > 4

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• This is a great script, very handy! Thanks for the help Lowell.

- Dan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply