Changing from Windows Authentication to Mixed Mode

• We have SQL Server 2005 and have been using it as it was installed, with Windows Authentication. The resellers set this up and we have been happy. Each individual has a login. We aren't using groups. This is because we have a lot of people who can log into windows, but many of them should not be getting into the SQL Server.

All of these users are on one Windows Domain.

Now we have acquired a separate company in the building next door and they have a different domain. I want to allow two of those employees access into our SQL Server and so far haven't found a way to allow them to do that via Windows Authentication. If there is a way, any tips or links would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, I think we can just change from Windows Authentication which was the default to Mixed. I can see that we need to restart SQL Server after this change. But are there any other gotchas that I need to worry about? I see that the sa account needs to be created. Is that a worry? Can I get in to create the sa account once we have changed authentication modes and restarted? Will all the old windows logins work? And only these two new ones go via login and password?

Last thing I want is to make this change and find that nobody has access any more.

• You need to set up a trust from one windows domain to the new domain to allow access for the new users via their domain ids. Talk to the network group about this. This may be something they plan on doing anyway. Look into Active Directory to help with this. Otherwise changing to SQL authentication will work as well. The sa password will be set up as you change over (one of the screens will prompt you for a password which you can change again later if you want) All your old ids will continue to work fine. No other gotcha's that I can think of at the moment.

HTH

Francis

• This looks like a cross post that I just noted. See my reply in the other thread.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply