Changed service account and now can't get to database

• HI,

I have a new sql 2005 installation with one database on this sql server. I went to configuration manager and stopped the sql service to run under a new account just for this sql server service. Service wouldn't start so I went back and put account as the original account it was running under. Now when I open up management studio I can see my database icon but I cannot expand it at all, cannot take it off line..

Any ideas what went bad by changing service account and then putting it back to what it was !

Juanita

• Okay, not sure what is going on but I went back into management studio and did a refresh on the sql server instance and it allowed me to 'attach' the database again.

My question and my fear now is, what is involved in changing the service account? I was under the assumption that you go to configuration manager and pick your service, key in the logon id and password. then that is it, sql should set up all permissions necessary. Is this correct or am I suppose to do more legwork behind the scene? The service account is a basic domain account, no admin rights assigned it.

Thank you for any info anyone can share..

This is my first sql2005 experience :unsure:

• Not sure what has happened there, but yes the SQL server Configuration manager should set relevant permissions for the account nominated to run the service.

Here is a link explaining what rights are required, just in case you do wish to double check to ensure that these have been assigned.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283811

• Thank you so much!!! Exactly what I needed to see. I went on a test sql2005 server and did the exact same thing and I didn't have any problems so not sure what happened. But I will try it again and keep my fingers crossed !

thank you again!

• You're welcome Juanita, glad to hear that things are behaving themselves for you now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply