Change Tracking

• Hi All,

I am experimenting with Change Tracking (Not CDC, yet) to identify rows in a small subset of tables to be loaded into a a data warehouse (Well, I suppose Mart, its a single fact + 5 dimension, nothing spectacular).

I've enabled Change Tracking:

ALTER DATABASE TrackerDB

SET CHANGE_TRACKING = ON

(CHANGE_RETENTION = 2 DAYS, AUTO_CLEANUP = ON);

GO

ALTER TABLE dbo.TrackME

ENABLE CHANGE_TRACKING

WITH (TRACK_COLUMNS_UPDATED = ON);

I then made a couple of changes, inserts and an update. Which I *can* identify using CHANGETABLE function, however, I am struggling to understand the version parameter.

select CHANGE_TRACKING_CURRENT_VERSION();

-- This returns the value 2

So, If I were to perform an INSERT and then an UPDATE, am I correct in thinking the latest version would have lost the fact that a NEW row was added and it would then look like a only a row update has taken place.. Thus making this no good for tracking changes to be loaded into a data warehouse.

Or am I missing a trick? I like the lightweight nature of this change tracking approach but not sure it's going to work in my place.

EDIT: I should all, all I really want to achieve is a list of ID's that have changed since a given a date, be them new rows, updated rows, etc.. Deletes I am not too bothered about as no deletes occur on these tables.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Alex

• Your change would actually show up as I (an insert).

Let's say that you have a a record and it gets inserted and updated a couple of times, I'll include the changeTrackingId in () for info...

Id Val ct

1 2 (1)

1 3 (2)

1 4 (3)

If you looked for changetable changes passing in 0 you would show I for that row, as that was the primary action. If you passed in 2 then you would get U as you were looking for the primary action starting with that change number.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply