Change the node names of a Windows cluster

• Hi all,

I currently have 2 x 2 node Windows 2008 R2 x64 clusters running in our release environment, the production environment will be built when we receive the hardware.

A business decision has been made to change naming standard for our servers, and ideally I want to change node names for my release environment to fit the new standard for which production environment will be using.

I've done some research into what needs to be done;

1. Move everything to one side of the cluster

2. Open command prompt and run… cluster node <hostname> /forcecleanup

3. Evict node with command… cluster node <hostname> /evict

4. On node that was just evicted… My Computer->Right Click-> Properties->Computer Name->Change

5. Enter new host name and reboot

6. Once node is back online on a server that is still in cluster run cluster admin

File->New->Node

7. Enter new hostname and add->ok… next

8. Once node is added with new hostname, failover everything to it

9. On that node run steps 2 through 8 again (forcecleanup,evict,rename,reboot,add to cluster) from server with new hostname that was recently joined to cluster

10. Verify everything fails back and forth

What I want to know is.. Does this sound right ? Has anyone every tried changing a cluster node name before ? Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

All comments greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Vultar

• vultar (9/20/2011)

1. Move everything to one side of the cluster

2. uninstall clustered applications from node to be evicted

3. Evict node with command… cluster node <hostname> /evict

4. On node that was just evicted… My Computer->Right Click-> Properties->Computer Name->Change

5. Enter new host name and reboot

6. Once node is back online on a server that is still in cluster run cluster admin

File->New->Node

7. Enter new hostname and add->ok… next

8. Once node is added with new hostname, reinstall clustered applications to new node then failover everything to it

9. On that node run steps 2 through 8 again (forcecleanup,evict,rename,reboot,add to cluster) from server with new hostname that was recently joined to cluster

10. Verify everything fails back and forth

Amendments are in red above

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for the response!

Blimey, I was hoping it was going to be a quick job.. but as each cluster's running 6-7 instances I don't think there's anychance of that :rolleyes:

Think I'll put the work on the sideline and wait until I get some free time to work through this.

Cheers

Vultar

• yes it's a lot of work. I did similar to this in my last contract. I had to rebuild all the cluster nodes one at a time and went through this process.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• sounds like more work and risk than its worth 🙂

as people connect to the virtual server name,

a) whats the point?

b) does the virtual name fit these new standards?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply