Change the Instance Collation by Rebuilding Databases in SQL Server 2017

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Change the Instance Collation by Rebuilding Databases in SQL Server 2017

• Does this only apply to SS 2017?

• It applies to all supported versions.

• Do you run a batch file to create your instances?

• Robert Sterbal-482516 wrote:

Do you run a batch file to create your instances?

in my shop all instances are created using a powershell script - with defaults set for everything and potentially override some of the setting if the project requesting the instance has special needs.

this includes adding all required domain DBA groups to the instance as well as backup/monitoring tools logins.

• Because we have a lot configuration items already in a new deployed SQL Server Instance we always use the option with the trace flags and it has always worked fine. (sqlservr -m -T4022 -T3659 -s"SQL2017" -q"SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI") But you need to pay attention to the SSISDB as it has a specific non default collation and with this alternative procedure the collation of literally all databases get changed to the new value . This can cause issues with future SQL Server upgrades. So backup the SSISDB  prior to and restore it after the collation change.  (maybe even better procedure is to remove the SSISDB and recreate the SSIS Catalogue).

• If user databases were created don't those databases still have the collation that is effect when they were created?  I have changed the collation at the database level but then I had to also change the collation at the character column level in each table in the database.  In other words, isn't there still additional work that may need to be performed?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply