Change the exsisting WSFC to a new WSFC in AG Configuration.

• Hi;

We have a production SQL Server setup with AG configuration. The WSFC is not configured properly there. So we had to face lot of issues past days. Now system engineers decided to create a new WSFC and recofigure the AG. If anyone can please share the SQL Server side configuration steps for this. Please note we can't take longer downtimes for this. Maximum 15min.

Regards

Shiv

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• First of all, do all of this on a non-production system so you find out what to expect when you do it on Production. If you do not have a dev system you can test this on then build one!!  The entire concept is high risk and could leave you with a non-functioning SQL server environment.

I have done a lot with SQL server and clustering over the years but have never tried what you are doing. If I was in this situation I would push to move to a new set of servers and abandon the old environment. There is a strong integration between SQL server and Windows clustering, particularly at the registry level. You will need to find all the relevant keys and work out what changes would be needed and how to implement them. You will also need to rebuild the cluster checkpoint entry for the new cluster. You really need to practice this before hitting your Prod environment as you are unlikely to deal with everything on your first attempt. And after you have finished your test try applying a CU to SQL to see if that still works.

Finally, if you do try this please post on what happened and what you did if it worked. It would help the SQL community to know more about this level of complexity.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply